Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Igniton Timing for 2.0L 2E engine??????

Users Country Flag

Righto,

IIRC I played with this screw to adjust the idle,
    /Igniton Timing for 2.0L 2E engine??????-dscf7969-jpg

However, before touching idle the timing should be set.
    I'll be honest I did this by ear until eventually it was running at the correct 6 degrees before TDC.

From what I understand, the sensor (the black one ontop of the coolant flange) is what a MK2 owner would call blue temp sensor.
    Difference is on MK3 combine 2 sensors into one (ECU coolant temp and Gauge coolant temp)

Have you touched the timing yet? It usually doesn't need to be touched.

Is that engine an AGG
    Be nice if it was, but see the Idle control valve ontop of the valve cover and the 'barn door style' Air flow metre?
    Makes it a 2E running on Digifant.
    Last edited by ryana89; 08-01-2015 at 08:37 PM.
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

Users Country Flag
    Also, when setting up idle, don't forget to unplug this hose and block the intake side.
    Igniton Timing for 2.0L 2E engine??????-dscf7969-jpg

(You may have already been doing this, just checking)
    MK2 - *Insert list of dealer purchased extra's/standard features here*
    80 series - The MK2's BIG, Sooty, polar opposite...
    HAHAHA

There's no adjusting screw on the throttle body at all, the location that you've cicled is just a blank port in the casting. nothing there at all.

And no I forgot to block that hose off (always do that on my caravelle as well).

will have to get back to this in a little while as I'm now in the middle of replacing the clutch.

what a prick of a job that is.
    Calling NSW Mid North Coast VW Enthusiasts - Click Below
    Mid North Coast Dub Club

Users Country Flag

wire needs disconnecting

Quote Originally Posted by ryana89 View Post
    Righto,

IIRC I played with this screw to adjust the idle,
    /Igniton Timing for 2.0L 2E engine??????-dscf7969-jpg

However, before touching idle the timing should be set.
    I'll be honest I did this by ear until eventually it was running at the correct 6 degrees before TDC.

From what I understand, the sensor (the black one ontop of the coolant flange) is what a MK2 owner would call blue temp sensor.
    Difference is on MK3 combine 2 sensors into one (ECU coolant temp and Gauge coolant temp)

Have you touched the timing yet? It usually doesn't need to be touched.

Be nice if it was, but see the Idle control valve ontop of the valve cover and the 'barn door style' Air flow metre?
    Makes it a 2E running on Digifant.

There should be a wire to disconnect to set the timing like the T3 has I've not seen a 2e engine or read about them but VW always make things similar to other models of the same era. Brendon on the T3 its the yellow wire that is disconnected to set the timing it cuts out the the computer during timingso its like a normal engine to time
    The road is my favourite resturant!

Whoa! Lots of random info jiggling around in here...

2E engine:
    > Idle speed is controlled via the ECU, using the idle control valve which is that horizontal cylinder thing on the rocker cover. You CANNOT change the idle speed manually (why would you need to?). Any vacuum or air leaks will cause issues - eliminate all of these sorts of problems before you go trying to adjust things that the ECU should be controlling.
    > Timing - set the timing to 6-8 BTDC with warm engine. All further adjustments are made by the ECU. The distributor uses a hall effect sensor as the pickup for the electronic ignition control, so you only need to have it about right.
    > Knock sensor should be fitted to the front of the block. These can be damaged or break over time, they aren't too expensive. You wont get full performance without a working knock sensor.
    > Coolant temperature sensor function is critical to the correct mixture control for the engine. These are cheap - if your not sure about it, fit a new one.
    > Spark plug gaps - shouldn't be too large.

The 2E will run perfectly and just about forever if all of the above things are covered.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

Thanks gldgti for sharing this info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12