Support VWWC

Thread: hi new golf mk3 1997 driver

Users Country Flag

Exclamation hi new golf mk3 1997 driver

i having the problem with this car, it's a bit rough at idle.
    i want to clean the IAC and EGR but couldn't find them.
    can someone show me please?
    thanks

Users Country Flag
    Which model? CL with 1.8l engine, GL with 2.0l engine or VR6 with 2.8l engine.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Golf mk3 1997 agg engine, gl 2.0l

Quote Originally Posted by feenix74 View Post
    Which model? CL with 1.8l engine, GL with 2.0l engine or VR6 with 2.8l engine.
    it's a GL 2.0L

Beside that it also has a mystery coolant leak. i need to add about 100ml per week into the reservour.

Users Country Flag
    Ok, as you face the engine bay, there is a black box on the top left of the cam cover, coming out to the left of the box is a double black rubber pipe, one end feeds towards the firewall into the intake air/injector, while the other end is connected to the exhaust gas return pipe and ultimately the engine block. Check if the double black rubber pipe is perished and needs replacement. My 97 CL would always idle roughly when the equivalent bit of black rubber exhaust gas return pipe is perished.

For the coolant leak, check that you do not have any coolant in the passenger/driver footwell carpet. The heater core can fail on the Mk3s. There should be a black plastic flange which connects the coolant hose to the engine block, I have had to replace 3 of those over the 19 years I have owned my CL.

I have only owned my Vento GL for 12 months, so unforunately this is a bit of a guess as I do not know all the quirks with the 2.0l.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag

Take the plastic intake pipe of your throttle body and see how filthy it is inside. You'll be surprised. Give that a really good cleanout with TB cleaner and it will make a difference. I'm pretty sure your motor controls idle via a stepper motor on the main butterfly and all that gunk affects this. Also give your AFM a clean with the correct cleaner. My 2L was so bad it was stalling and the above fixed it.