Thread: Creaking/Groaning front left wheel - Steering rack issue?

Creaking/Groaning front left wheel - Steering rack issue?

Hey guys,

So long story short my Mk3 had been sitting for 6 months as I moved over seas so I had a few maintenance bits and bobs to catch up with but it also seems it's developed a creaking/groaning sound from the front left wheel area since getting it up and running again. As weird as it is, it kind of sounds like a mix between the creaking of an old wooden ship and the groan of a frog. My prelim trouble shooting findings are as follows,

- Only the left hand side is making noise
    - The noise only arises in a particular spot, if 0% was the wheels straight and 100% at full lock, it seems to make the noise between 20-50% 'zone'.
    - Will make the noise when the car is moving or at a stand still, eg: static steering
    - No tell tale clicking noise like a CV joint
    - Not really that loud, have to have the radio off and almost listen specifically for it but at the same time it sounds loud enough to need attention.

Has any one had this before? I've done a little digging around and have found a few forum threads for other models of the golf or other makes completely and the general spitball ideas seem to be a steering rack issue, which in my mind makes more sense than a CV joint as it's making the noise without the car itself moving.

Any thought and advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Beau1
    Last edited by beausuf; 14-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Users Country Flag
    tie rod end?

Top strut mount perhaps. The bearing may have rusted.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Jack the car up and wiggle that wheel by hand. Horizontal play is tie rod. Vertical play normally ball joint. Playing all around is normally wheel bearing, and start by checking if your axle nut is loose.
    Last edited by hahne; 15-06-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    Top strut mount perhaps. The bearing may have rusted.
    This!
    When I installed my coils, I forgot to grease the bearings, as they come without grease due to import laws.
    Such bullshiit, but some companies just put the greased ones in anyway, it's usually the Aussie locals who import them, that don't get the greased ones.

Thanks for the replies,

I have a few parts in the post to fix a small oil leak and a new thermostat. When it all arrives I plan to spend a full day tinkering around. Will let you know my findings

Quote Originally Posted by hahne View Post
    Jack the car up and wiggle that wheel by hand. Horizontal play is tie rod. Vertical play normally ball joint. Playing all around is normally wheel bearing, and start by checking if your axle nut is loose.
    Will give this a go!