Thread: 1996 1.8L high and/or low idle

1996 1.8L high and/or low idle

So i have a 1996 1.8 mk3 golf CL and just recently my idle has either been high at 1200-1600 rpm or really low at 500 rpm and about to stall. This only occurs when it's warm and the engine has had a little bit of load applied. I've checked and replaced old vacuum lines and that word for about 30 minutes and it started acting up again. Just yesterday when sitting at idle it was going from 500 rpm up to 1500 rpm, and this kept happening until I switched the car off for 2 minutes and when I started it up again it was normal.

I'm after any advice I can get on what the problem is. Thank you in advanced for any help or advice you may have.

Users Country Flag
    The insulator plate under the electric carby is prone to cracking, and causing running problems.

You should be able to get an aftermarket one online. Genuine one is stupidly expensive.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

As said above the rubber mount under the TB/injector may be cracked and sucking air.
    Be sure to get the TB a good clean when you have it off too...

Users Country Flag
    Get someone with a VAG-COM to look for error codes too. My CL had a similar problem, my mechanic replaced the throttle body and that solved the problem but it would still periodically throw up an error code which indicated that it was losing the throttle position. He believe the periodic error code was due to a short somewhere but we have never bothered to chase it down because a good boot of the accelerator would reset the throttle position sensor again.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Thank you all for your help. As of now I have pulled all the plastic intake off and give the carby and the TB a good clean. I gave the rubber mount a check and I didn't see any cracks, however do any one you recommend a good site to buy a rubber mount and possible an idle control motor as well? I don't really trust YouTube and I have tried through autobarn but they cannot get one. Thank you all in advanced