Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My money pit

My money pit

So after endless amounts of tinkering I have decided to take the gti off the road for a few months to sort put some nagging issues. It hopefully won't become a ground up resto! Really sort out the trim with new clips, replace some broken interior bits, some seals and depending on how hard it may be consider a re spray. I may paint it myself after some practice on some old panels. Getting rid of the auto is also high on the priorities list. I need to finish my kombi first so a quick tidy up is what will probably happen then later on a re power. Thanks everyone for answering my dumb questions!

My money pit

good luck mate. I hope she's back on the road a lot quicker than mine!! It's been semi off the road for a year.
    What sort of repower are we talking about here?

My money pit

Dreaming but r32 keeps coming to mind but am really unsure if I want to go to such extremes and spend that sort of cash on it. All I know is my kids cry when I don't pick them up from school in it and the wife won't let me sell it!

Haha my mum would kill me if I sold my mk2.

A nice 2L ABF would make it great to drive and retain the character of the car....affordable and less of an engineering problem.

Users Country Flag
    A 20vt swap is also something you should consider. As far as I have seen its pretty straight forward bolt in and there's plug n play kits avalibe for it..
    8v Ibiza GTI > 8v mk2 Golf GTI > mk3 VR6 > 8v Ibiza GTI > 2D CL+vr6...

My money pit

Quote Originally Posted by hamza View Post
    A 20vt swap is also something you should consider. As far as I have seen its pretty straight forward bolt in and there's plug n play kits avalibe for it..
    And I'm in agreeance plus more info for me if I do it
    Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    The price of the car rarely indicates driver ability/lap time.

My money pit

A 20 vt sounds like a good choice as does the abf. I need to work out which way I want to go with the car whether its kept reasonably original or highly modified

Users Country Flag
    An ABF has been sitting around FS on here for weeks for $1250

I think it just went interstate though, not sure.

Best thing I can suggest to do is to work out as close to exactly what you want the car to be at the end of the day.
    All round improved road car
    Fast road car
    Track car
    1/4 mile car
    Show car

Understanding that each of these types of scenarios have their positives and negatives is the key, and working out what is important to you.

Eg. A small turbo car. Good torque. Ok power. Not much or no lag. Probably doesn't sound very good. But danger of catching big turbo fever.

Eg. A big turbo car. Great power, probably doesn't sound very good, has lag + cost of component upgrades.

Eg. R32 = Sound + power + cost + difficulty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast