Thread: MK2 Insurance suggestions?

Users Country Flag

Unhappy MK2 Insurance suggestions?

Hey Guys,
    my insurance with GIO is up for renewal and I'm looking to increase my agreed insurance value to more then the amount of $2,600 which is the most they can offer me.

I've tried Shannon's and they said they could easily do cover of $5k but the month repayments would be close to $130pm. The rep on the phone actaully said he was surprised that it was so high...

I'm 34 and have had no fines, suspensions, disqualifications or claims.

Who are you guys using?
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991
    VW MK3 Vento 1995 Daily Driver

Call NRMA vintage/veteran/classic

When mine was garaged in NSW insured for $4k it was $120 a year

Couldnt drive it more than 7k per year, couldnt be my primary vehicle, had to be stored off street

In Adelaide its a bit dearer (although im closer to the city here) but i've also bumped up the value as the money thrown at the hunk is getting silly
    9N3 Polo GTI - 91 MkII GTI - 16 B8 Passat 132tsi Comfortline
    Past - 14 MkVII GTI, 9n3 Polo GTI, Mk5 Golf GTI, Mk6 Golf 77tsi, Mk6 Golf 90tsi, Mk2 Golf GTI, Mk3 Golf VR6.
    Wanted: Mk1 GTI white or black

Users Country Flag
    I'm with Shannons. Car is insured for $3500 and I pay around $250 a year.
    My mk2 is on historic/club registration and I can only drive it for 90 days a year.

Users Country Flag
    Shannons all the way!
    I have a couple cars insured with them, my mk2 project is insured for 5000 cost $120 per year
    Octavia Rs 2009 $320 per year. Here is a funny fact I had a 2000 pulsar sss with budget cost more to insure with fire, theft, 3rd party than the Octavia Rs with shannons.

Just a note though, they won't insure everyone. They look for the right clientele

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 MK2 Golf GTI

Shannons for me too

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    thanks for all the replies, it might be because of where I live and that I use my car as a daily driver but Shannon's was going to be about $1200 a year for me...

I've decided to go with Famous Insurance. They have insured by daily driver for $65pm and that includes the agreed value of $5k and includes windscreen cover per year. It looks to be the best deal that I could get.

On a side note, do I have to wait to the car hits 30yrs to do the club thing? And i'm guessing it wouldn't be suitable for me as i'm currently using it as my daily?
    VW MK2 Golf GTI 8V 1991
    VW MK3 Vento 1995 Daily Driver