Support VWWC

Thread: Import Questions 2

Users Country Flag

Import Questions 2

A couple more questions if anyone can help thank you in advance:

1. What is the average value of a mk2 golf in Aus? What is the range from basic car values to show condition? I realise this is an open ended question but I am trying to get an idea of the import tax I am going to pay on my vehicle.

2. What is the rough cost of getting my car compliant and registered for use on the road there?

3. What is the process for allocating registration numbers to imported vehicles..is it lucky dip or can they be chosen/paid for?

4. Does anyone have contact email or other details for Talktorque? I cannot find an email anywhere.

Users Country Flag
    I looked into it myself, I got quoted $5800 AUD for shipping, insurance and taxes. But I believe it is a lot cheaper if you have actually lived in the UK and are proving it is your current car that's over there.

I'm nor sure if my quote was including road registering it, but that's a few hundred, getting a VIN plate, import plate, engine registered to chassis etc & blueslip.

The value on mk2's is quite unpredictable some folks on Facebook pages would be more knowledgable: Burnallthemk2's.

I've seen some sell for $5000 AUD and some for $20,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by HAF View Post
    A couple more questions if anyone can help thank you in advance:

1. What is the average value of a mk2 golf in Aus? What is the range from basic car values to show condition? I realise this is an open ended question but I am trying to get an idea of the import tax I am going to pay on my vehicle.

2. What is the rough cost of getting my car compliant and registered for use on the road there?

3. What is the process for allocating registration numbers to imported vehicles..is it lucky dip or can they be chosen/paid for?

4. Does anyone have contact email or other details for Talktorque? I cannot find an email anywhere.
    Bringing in a car that's too far removed from std can be a massive headache to get past the inspection process.

What's the state or the MK2 now?

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Most of the MK2's downunder are 4 doors so if you're importing a 2 door it's going to be worth more. A 2 door would be worth more than AUS$2k over a similar condition 4 door.

Prices here are slowly going up as more people realise what great cars they are. Around $5000 seems average for a 4 door in good condition with some going for more. I know of one 2 door recently rebuilt and painted going for $10000.

Hope this helps.

Users Country Flag
    I have a mate who is getting a UK 2 door engineered now.

The prices range from $1500 to $2500

I' ve just imported my Mk 2 Gti from France . You've got a container so transport is go . You need to go to Oz customs website to get import approval , not too difficult . If you've owned it for more than 12 mths then it's a personal import . Oz customs will make you go through a customs agent for customs clearance . My car was LHD so I had to change headlights and seat belts . You'll only need seat belts provided everything is in good condition and working order . A VASS approved workshop will inspect and certify your car and give it RWC at the same time , 1400 $ price set by vicroads . With that done you can go to vicroads and get full or club rego . I used Archie Robertson auto and marine VASS workshop in Bayswater , seems like a good bloke but you can also look up VASS workshop list on vicroads site . Oh ... and customs will charge you 300$ for bio hazard clean if your car isn't spick and span so clean it thouroughly before transport , int/ext under and wheel arches .