Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a MK2 GTI

Users Country Flag

Bought a MK2 - killed a MK2

I was at Camden GTI last week to get the gearbox on the Polo looked at (again) and Matt asked if I was interested in a white MK2 GTI sitting on the forecourt. Nice looking car, sitting low with 14" steelies and a few bits of trim missing. The price was too good to pass up so I spent the rest of the day pulling all the little bits I needed for the car off one of Matt's wrecked MK2's.

I had to drive the Polo back home to Braidwood and the first chance to get the GTI was today. Caught the train up with the kids (can we come with you on the train daddy?) and drove the Golf the 250k's back home. Turned out to be a really nice drive. Yes the suspension was stiff and yes the front shocks are shot and it's hard to get into 1st (took off a couple of times in 3rd) but the car handled it and it was fun taking it up to 140 k's a few times on the freeway just to hassle the big cars.

It's Alex_g's old white one but I know bugger all about the history of this car. If it's bog standard with 90 hp then it handled the hills pretty well, at least a lot quicker than my 75 hp 1996 Polo.

Plans are to get some decent front shocks and fit a 2 litre for the extra poke. I'd also like to widen the wheels so they fill the arches a bit better. Other than that I'm pretty pleased with what I got.

I'll post a few pix as soon as I remember to.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by sports racer; 08-10-2015 at 08:13 AM.

hottuning coilovers and gear bushes/ adjustment and she should be awesome. Ive seen the car once. try and get that jetta front back!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'm not a big fan of the square lights and I do a lot of night driving through kangaroo infested countryside so the extra driving lights will come in handy.

Reminds me, I need to weld up some steel bracing for the inside of the front spoiler. You'd be amazed how much damage some of Gods creatures can do to plastic and fiberglass. Even something as small as a fox can wipe out the radiator and heaven forbid you should hit a wombat. Those things will rip out your front end if you hit one of the big ones.

hahah i forgot you lived in canberra id be lucky to a bird here in the city.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Paul,

We should catch up, I am in Canberra...
    My mate is currently in the process of obtaining a 85' GTI, EV K-Jet. The one I am trying to work out the best way to turbo.

Anyway, should organize a date for a cruise down your way after we get the car.

Cheers,
    Aaron.
    77' MkI Golf GLS - VR6-T Project Compression
    79' MkI Golf GLS - 2L ABF ITB's Wolf3D
    09' MkV Golf R32 - sold

Congrats mate, Finally something worth sinking a few extra dollars into!

I've also just got a mk 2 GTI, and in the slow process of making small modifications and improvements to get a bit of extra poke stick and stop out of the old girl.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    hottuning coilovers
    They're not worth it, unless you like rice bounce and desperately and cheaply need the ability to adjust the ride height.
    Every car I have been in with hottuning coilovers has handled like a bucket and had very poor ride quality IMO.

Congrats on getting a nice MK2

mk2 GTi 16v
    Corrado G60

get a good shock and springs set up for the best ride.

get some photos up too

and welcome to the mk2 club
    Velly
    '91 2.0 8v GTI

Quote Originally Posted by DubSteve View Post
    I have wood thinking about you

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I spoke to Peter today at CVWC and he's got a complete 2 litre Audi motor sitting there with my name on it, just waiting for pay day. Should only take me a day to swap motors and modify the downpipe to fit. 90 hp may be OK for grannies but 115 hp and the extra torque is a good starting point for the type of car I need. I don't want a mega horsepower motor. That would take the fun out of picking the right spot to overtake and getting back on the right side of the road before the next corner. There's a lot of windy, open roads and hills between home and work and a well sorted MK2 should make the 170ks I drive each day a lot of fun.

I also need to get some decent shocks for the front end. Anyone have a favourite type they recommend? My car is already low (tops of all 4 tyres fit well under the guards) and I like the low look so I'll keep the springs, just need good shocks.

While I was at CVWC I had a look at the toy the young bloke is working on. He has a yellow 2 door MK1 with 1.8 turbo motor and K4 turbo. Should be fun when it's finished in a few weeks.

Aaron, you definitely need to come for a run out my way. I do the drive to Canberra every day for work and it's about time some of the Canberra guys did the reverse trip. You're always welcome to drop in and talk Golfs for the afternoon. Some really good driving roads around here too.

Pictures to come.

Cheers

Paul

I'm looking about for some adjustable koni's for the fronts myself. I've always heard good things about them, and i'd like the adjustability for the change between comfortable daily and track day warrior

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast