Definitive Car

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your place?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I have done multiple build threads and DIY type threads since i joined this forum in 2011 - sharing my feedback and experiences etc. even to this day i get the odd PM from someone who has been looking at one of my build threads and wants to ask me something.....that doesnt happen with facebook.
    Which begs the question Lucas - where's the ISF build thread? I'm sure a bunch of us would be keen to see where you take it, even though it's not VAG.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Which begs the question Lucas - where's the ISF build thread? I'm sure a bunch of us would be keen to see where you take it, even though it's not VAG.
    Happy to start one if its allowed and you are interested in seeing something different? Ive spent a fair bit of time and money on it already and am loving it. Plenty of pics too.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Repeating yourself and posting the same complaint in many sections of the forum is not acceptable. If you need to vent your anger with whatever issue you have on your car then believe me, many here don't want to read it in long whining posts that are repeated on daily basis.
    I was getting annoyed with that thread & was going to say at the time that the moderators were very tolerant & patient. As a guy once said on the Vortex Forum in the States that it only takes one or two complaining members to spoil a forum & drive readers away. As I see it, the forum is for people with similar interests to be helpful to one another.
    Last edited by jets; 30-07-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Whilst I also had and still don't like everything that VW's seem to be burdened with , a complaint with something as expensive as a gearbox etc is better solved by going to VW's own Facebook page Volkswagen - Posts | Facebook I used their own page to vent my spleen and eventually seemed to get under their skin as they eventually got proactive to my satisfaction {took two years though }

Users Country Flag
    Being able to have threads and topics and organised information makes forums vastly superior.
    I'm on FocusFanatics more now, I joined a few Facebook groups for Focus but most are just a bragging and selling platform so not much use.
    Past - '95 VW Golf MK3 VR6
    Present - '11 Ford Focus LW Diesel (PSA DW10C)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Happy to start one if its allowed and you are interested in seeing something different? Ive spent a fair bit of time and money on it already and am loving it. Plenty of pics too.
    Sorry it's taken me forever to reply to this. Yes please - if you're keen, a build thread would be very entertaining indeed. I'm sure it'll be fine in the Photo Gallery section!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
    Being able to have threads and topics and organised information makes forums vastly superior.
    Couldnt agree more!
    2016 MY17 Polo GTI with DA package. TMD fitted + Weather strip and Snow Screen removed otherwise dead standard.

Users Country Flag
    Facebook and Instagram has definitely ruined forums. When I got my first MK1 many many years ago, I hit this particular forum and the support over the years has been amazing. To this day I can still read all my previous threads, and reminisce.

However today with Facebook and Instagram, it seams there's a new way to do things. It's all about the 'efame' and the likes. I also feel that social media has made everyone more elitist - not many gatherings happen as they did a few years ago, and its all slowly crumbling I think. Whereas I remember all the gatherings made on VWW at a set date and anyone was welcome. Times are changing that's for sure
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    not many gatherings happen as they did a few years ago, and its all slowly crumbling I think. Whereas I remember all the gatherings made on VWW at a set date and anyone was welcome.
    Not even just for communities like this one, but also for families and friends. These days you see everyone's life parade by on Facebook, that new car, new dog, new baby... and feel like you're involved even though you are anything but. You can go months, years even not speaking to people and never notice since you still know everything about them... after all you "liked" all those pics of their new deck and wished them a happy birthday last year (because Facebook suggested you should)...

I think technology that is designed to bring us together is giving us a false sense of engagement and driving us further apart. While it can be used to organise events and share images/videos, it's a hard slog to actually get out there and do stuff in real life. I know I struggle with it all the time. We have our own stuff going on, kids, work, bills, etc etc. What we need to do is turn off and go outside. I know I'd love more events, but I also know I've been a terrible example of getting out since moving states.

Way back when I used to try an organise a meet up/cruise every other month through VWWC, maybe something I should get back into doing... if I can find the time :S

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Okay here is where I ask where is the 'LIKE "button , groan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast