Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentine One

Users Country Flag

Valentine One

I am interested in this radar detector as it may help me to drive more safely The US supplier doesn't ship outside of North America so other than using a mail proxy I would have to buy a used model off eBay. Is there a source here in Australia who sells these or maybe someone who has/can organise a group buy?
    2010 | Mk 6 | Golf GTI | DSG | black | 18" Detroit's | MDI

Users Country Flag
    Before you buy one research for RDD(Radar detector detectors) too . Radar detectors are illegal in Australia and police can detect them with RDDs. Result is huge fine and demerit points. But there are some Radar detectors which said to be stealth. There are some Australian sites sell them and bit expensive than V1 e.g. http://www.radardetectors.com.au

Also now a days police use laser guns and in a real world scenario nearly impossible to detect and defeat. When someone detect the laser he already got the ticket! Still there are laser scramblers but too risky to use them because new police laser guns has inbuilt protection to detect the jamming and warn the police also police officer will be directly looking at you when he use laser gun!

Users Country Flag
    Power's nothing without control. Ramee is spot on. Family member had one and didnt keep him 'safe'

Users Country Flag
    Radar detectors are not illegal in Western Australia, yet.

Users Country Flag
    If the devices are declared illegal, you might also find it will not clear customs.

If you want something that can give you warnings of potential speed check sites and things like school zones, red light cameras, and a GPS speedometer, you might want to get an AlerteGPS. As a site survey for responses needs to be carried out before a site can be used for laser or radar, the locations are known. The device has a database of these sites linked to the GPS unit and gives you an alert when a potential check site is being approached. It is not detecting anything, just letting you know that such a device could be in use.

An employee of a client was getting too many infringements for speeding, so the company insisted he buy and use one of these devices. This company also insists that every employee (CEO down) must pass a drive check at least every 6 months. This is done internally, and if anyone has questions raised, they can be referred to a driving school, otherwise they may not be able to use a company vehicle or transport an employee or client until they pass a drive check.
    --

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I only ask because I know that radar detectors are still legal to buy and own here in WA. I am concerned that the move to laser-based speed detection equipment may rule my purchase redundant but if I can buy one for say $300 then it may still be money well spent.
    AlerteGPS sounds like Trapster. Problem with the latter is you are heavily reliant on everyone contributing.
    2010 | Mk 6 | Golf GTI | DSG | black | 18" Detroit's | MDI

Users Country Flag
    I've had my AlerteGPS for around 3 years and it has been very reliable. I know that user supported systems can be a problem as it relies on users to update the database. The AlerteGPS unit comes already loaded with a database and you then have free lifetime updates of the database for the unit. It is a case of plugging it into a USB port on your computer and running the update software (generally updated monthly).

They sell for around $200, although Catch of the Day had them on for $69.95 when I got mine, so that is great value. You might be able to find on on these deal sites.
    --

Users Country Flag
    I don't think that the police departments in AU are that innovative to update theirs equipment. How ever regardless what equipment they use, it will not allow you to speed without being caught, since you need to slow down when detected and faster you go less time you have to comply with the speed limit in the area, so you still get fine if you go too fast, but lesser than without it. The difference could be to keep the license and just pay the fine or automatically lose it plus go to court.

Other traps that aren't detected are the red lights speed cameras. Just have a good read what is available and how they can detect it, so you can make more informed decision.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    An employee of a client was getting too many infringements for speeding, so the company insisted he buy and use one of these devices. This company also insists that every employee (CEO down) must pass a drive check at least every 6 months. This is done internally, and if anyone has questions raised, they can be referred to a driving school, otherwise they may not be able to use a company vehicle or transport an employee or client until they pass a drive check.
    Huh? On the one hand, they test regularly to ensure that everybody is a suitably safe driver, then they insist that one employee take steps to avoid being caught for speeding? I don't buy it. A very pro-active approach to driver safety, then implicit support of breaking road rules? It doesn't add up.

I would be more inclined to believe that the employee was told that he would lose his employment if he was caught speeding again, and he took it upon himself to buy the alert device rather than moderate his driving style.
    Former owner of MY12 GTD with DSG

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ParaBul View Post
    Huh? On the one hand, they test regularly to ensure that everybody is a suitably safe driver, then they insist that one employee take steps to avoid being caught for speeding? I don't buy it. A very pro-active approach to driver safety, then implicit support of breaking road rules? It doesn't add up.

I would be more inclined to believe that the employee was told that he would lose his employment if he was caught speeding again, and he took it upon himself to buy the alert device rather than moderate his driving style.
    No, the reason for the AlerteGPS was to give him a more accurate indication of speed because he said his speedometer was not right, and to let him know where school zones were (where most of his infringements were being given).

Don't worry. He was given a final warning.

It should not be assumed that just because someone uses a speed alert system that they are going to use it to speed.
    --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast