Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Emergeny Braking Assist... does it actually work?

Users Country Flag

VW Emergeny Braking Assist... does it actually work?

Good morning everyone,
    Newbie here form QLD.
    Admins, I wasn’t sure if this is the correct place to postthis question, if it’s not could you kindly move it to the appropriate locationplease.
    I purchased my first VW in 2016 and it was one of the first2nd gen Tiguan in QLD (according to my dealership). I have done over10k in the last year and strangely have never had the smart city braking/emergency braking trigger.
    The adaptive cruise control works well, the blind detection,lane keep assist, auto parking, they all work perfectly. But never once have Ihad the emergency braking come on.
    I have a Pajero sport as my work car and the city braking wouldoften trigger at least once when I drive to and from work.
    Reading the manual, it says the VW city braking can triggerbetween 60-4km/hr.

Mine has not come on once in the last 13 month. I waswondering if it is because, the sensitivity of the VW has been dialled down, orit is a fault or could it be I somehow turned it off. Have you had the sameexperience with the emergency braking?
    If anyone can share their experience with the emergencybraking on their VW, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you,

SAM
    2016 Tiguan Gen 2. 140TDI Rline Highline + all options

Users Country Flag
    Only from my Passat but the first week i had it I found out it worked wonderfully well A car had slowed right down to make an illegal turn and I had glanced down at the very instant as I wasnt expecting that and suddenly the car slammed to a halt bigtime.

Hasnt ever done it since but I learned a lesson
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Set up a wall of cardboard cartons and drive into it and see what happens.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Set up a wall of cardboard cartons and drive into it and see what happens.
    Dont know about newer models but mine specifically says it WONT stop if object in front is stationary Will only do it if object is moving considerably slower than you. My instance car had braked heavily but hadnt stopped.
    Happy to be corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Dont know about newer models but mine specifically says it WONT stop if object in front is stationary Will only do it if object is moving considerably slower than you. My instance car had braked heavily but hadnt stopped.
    Happy to be corrected
    If it does not work the cardboard won't hurt anything.

Users Country Flag
    i have a Skoda Superb (same same but different to VW) - i've had the emergency braking, or "front assist" as its called, kick in when a car infront of me was turning right at a roundabout, very slowly.
    as i was right behind it, following a similar path, but in my case going to go straight, the car didn't like my speed and trajectory in relation to the car infront - so it beeped, flashed, vibrated and slowed me down!!
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Happy to be corrected

When using ACC? I think we are talking about two different things, one is using ACC the other is if the car gets to close to an object at any time, happy to be corrected though as there is so much stuff that VW themselves have gotten wrong in their videos and literature.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    When using ACC? I think we are talking about two different things, one is using ACC the other is if the car gets to close to an object at any time, happy to be corrected though as there is so much stuff that VW themselves have gotten wrong in their videos and literature.

The OP said his ACC was working as it should and asked about Citybraking/ Front emergency braking hasnt ever come on. So how are we talking about different things. I replied about how mine worked and never mentioned ACC

ACC does brake if someone cuts in front of you but thats not what the thread is about

Quote OP If anyone can share their experience with the emergencybraking on their VW, I would be extremely grateful.

never had the smart city braking/emergency braking trigger.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-01-2018 at 08:48 PM.

I think we are talking about different things, braking with ACC active and braking with emergency when the vehicle gets too close with no input from the driver. I have had the big red emergency warning on the dash at low speed in a car park, I doubt it would happen with ACC active, a warning comes up on the dash saying you are too close or similar if a car for instance drops into the space the ACC has allowed between your car and the car it was previously following. This warning is not in big red letters only as is the emergency one is.

Users Country Flag

The thread is about City/emergency braking NOT ABOUT ACC

Read the Heading and the OP again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast