Definitive Car

Thread: Volkswagen Recall - Clock Spring Drivers Side Air Bag Does Not Function In Crash

Users Country Flag

Volkswagen Recall - Clock Spring Drivers Side Air Bag Does Not Function In Crash

Hi, I'm about to write to VW North Shore, Sydney and Head Office about my 2012 Tiguan 68k KMs which went into my local trusted garage for a service and also to check why the airbag light has come on. It turns out the clock spring has broken and at $750 plus fitting an expensive replacement. This has been done but it appears the failure has caused other electrical faults which the garage is doing all they can to rectify.

Reason for the post is that apparently, VW say the clock spring is a lifetime part but the chap at the parts department advised they sell an awful lot of them and thus always keep 2 on the shelf ready. Now my mechanic through other conversations has found out this is a known issue and in the USA a recall has already been ordered for mine and many other models. Considering the safety risk and the rate of failures of this item, I'm amazed VW has not acknowledged this here if the same parts were used.

Volkswagen Recall 15V483000: Drivers Side Air Bag Does Not Function In Crash

Has anyone else experienced anything related to this and could share their experience?

Thanks in advance if any one can help.

The clock spring failed a week ago on my passat MY13 as well. Have not spoken to VW yet. See also Passat Clock Spring
    Last edited by iampivot; 26-03-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    I'd be seeking a goodwill repair on it, if it's under kilometers, and not too far out on age.

A dealer service history will help too.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

As if VW did not have enough trouble with Takata Air Bags now this , they should be replacing them free of charge because it is a safety issue and if it has been an issue overseas should not make any difference here . Naturally there would be some Public Relations person who would be well and trully brainwashed to give a response like they have in the past that says that it is different to our cars .I remember when there was an issue with the DSG boxes and some head honcho at VW when asked why the Japanese had had their cars fixed why not Australian owners . His classic response was "you have to remember Japanese drivers live in a HOT climate country with lots of stop start driving " the writer claimed it was the best example of an excecutive shooting himself in both feet at the same time with one bullet .

Users Country Flag
    You're using several irrelevent examples.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Having dealt with VW Australia directly in the past I can assure you they do act like this , there is a culture in big corporations to deny deny until the poor sod on the receiving end gives up . Took me two years to get them to accept some blame , even going a far as to send the photographic evidence to Germany .

Users Country Flag

Had to replace mine in a 2007 R32. Getting on... but hardly lifetime.