Thread: Steering off to the left! Help!

Steering off to the left! Help!

Hey guys - my 40th anniversary GTI has developed an annoying issue - steering off to the left - my local VW dealership claims this is normal. This all came about after the car went in to have the turbo charger replaced - prior to this the steering was perfect.

The wheels have been alligned 3 times with no success - it is consistently off 5 to 8 degress off to the left with no crown on road (flat road). The car however still tracks dead straight with the wheel off to the left.

It may not seem like much but with such sensitive steering it becomes extremely annoying and seems to wreck the driving experience.

Please see the picture - how can I get this fixed?! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GTI40; 13-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I suspect it may need a subframe alignment, as that would've been removed to replace the turbo.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I was told by the dealership the turbo is replaced from the top?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    You could be right. Looks pretty tight from up top.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I had similar problem after fitting cruise control to mates VW Van took two attempts to get the wheel correct even after we had marked the spline when removing as the whole upper steering and indicators clock spring were removed . But that would be the cheats way of getting the wheel back on the level , who knows might be worth investigating .

Very strange, especially if they didn't do a wheel alignment. It's quite normal to need an adjustment if the tow in is adjusted. THE tech usually drives around the block after a wheel alignment to check if the wheel is horizontal.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels