Support VWWC

Thread: Rental Car experience - Corolla and Focus

Rental Car experience - Corolla and Focus

I have been driving the missus' base level Golf 77TSI MkVI on and off and really like it. I do wish it has cruise control but at least that's fixed in the base Mk7.

Anyway have just gotten back from a family get together in Adelaide and we hired a car to get around the place.

The first car we got was a Focus - the latest model. Not sure what the specs were but it had BT and cruise control and was reasonably ok to drive. It wasn't as sure footed as my first gen Focus from years ago and the steering seemed extremely twitchy. I suspect it's from the abuse as a rental car with 28000ks on the clock. So the alignment was off.

But this wasn't the worst news. I was cruising as 60kmh on Brighton Road when I encountered a warning saying the engine temp had hit 120C!! And then a warning saying I needed to service the engine.

I barely just managed to limp back to the airport to drop it off. Smoke was rising from the bonnet.

They then handed me a Corolla - with ironically enough Queensland plates. This one had suffered even more miles 36000k. The steering wasn't twitchy but steering feedback wasn't particularly inspiring.

But I can't believe how ancient this thing was on the inside.

No light at the key ring made it a hassle to even find the hole to start the car and the journey.

Wife joked that the LED clock looked like the same one in her family's Corolla from the 80s.

We were driving past Hindley on a Friday night and the missus suggested locking the car but for the life of me, I couldn't find the button on the door or know if the door was locked afterwards. The Golf has a dim light that showed you which side was to lock and which to unlock. And a brighter light to confirm it's locked.

And when I went to fill up, I was a bit surprised again that they don't have a press to unlock and had to fumble in the dark to find the lever back inside the car.

Surprised how dated it made the car feel. Considering the facade outside was so modern.

Next trip, I'm gonna see if I can get a Mk7 Golf and see how those higher mileage models fare saw one in the parking lot but with a different rental company.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    No light at the key ring made it a hassle to even find the hole to start the car and the journey.
    Mk7 Golfs don't have a light either, but I don't have any trouble putting the key in either.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    Mk7 Golfs don't have a light either, but I don't have any trouble putting the key in either.
    That is odd. Pretty sure my wife's base spec Trendline Mk6 has that and my father-in-law's 1.4TSI (140ps) in Singapore had that too.

Although you can go the other way and compare cars also. I ended up buying a Mazda, despite working for VW and getting reduced prices on the range. My reason being was that I was able to buy a brand new 3MPS with much more in it(as standard), than I would have paid for a GTI/R with similar options.

I'm not talking a few thousand, think 10k+. That with the benefit of a more powerful and tuneable/accessible motor, boot space, ect ect, was a clear winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Although you can go the other way and compare cars also. I ended up buying a Mazda, despite working for VW and getting reduced prices on the range. My reason being was that I was able to buy a brand new 3MPS with much more in it(as standard), than I would have paid for a GTI/R with similar options.

I'm not talking a few thousand, think 10k+. That with the benefit of a more powerful and tuneable/accessible motor, boot space, ect ect, was a clear winner.

Haven't driven the Mazda but I was comparing base spec cars and I recalled that the Corolla and Focus were pretty closely prices with the Trendline Golf we ended up buying. If anything the Golf might have been cheaper than the Corplla.

rent a nissan micra. those things are effing sick (i'm serious).

Users Country Flag
    The EOFY sale has Toyota Sport CVT or $20899 OR. Still an old car and the wife refused to even sit in one. I had driven one hire car and it was ok. But package for seating not great.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    That is odd. Pretty sure my wife's base spec Trendline Mk6 has that and my father-in-law's 1.4TSI (140ps) in Singapore had that too.
    Nothing odd about it. Your wife's car is a Mk6 and mine is a Mk7 and VW have saved themselves money by not lighting up the key ring. My other car has it but I really don't find it necessary or even useful. After the first couple of times inserting the key I could now do it blind.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Nothing odd about it. Your wife's car is a Mk6 and mine is a Mk7 and VW have saved themselves money by not lighting up the key ring. My other car has it but I really don't find it necessary or even useful. After the first couple of times inserting the key I could now do it blind.

Might be because Push Start button is now more common place except in Australia my father in law's car has that and we haven't even checked if it is lit.

I thought it was just ridiculous to hunt where to insert the key in the dark

Users Country Flag

MK6 Barrel does not light up. I'm with Doggie - illumination sure would be useful.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP