Definitive Car

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photo Bucket

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    i was going to use flickr if you'd recommend it...
    Flickr is pretty good, owned by Yahoo and has a long history but the lesson which has been learnt (again) is that any service that is free has the potential to just go pop overnight either completely lost or locked out It's always worth keeping a copy of your own photos on a USB HDD or memory stick regardless of where you store/share them online. For <$100 you can buy a 1TB (even a 2TB these days!) HDD and save off all your photos. Even if you buy another one *every* year and re-copy your library again and again it's a pretty cheap insurance policy (and really after you have two drives I'd just copy the same stuff to both so you have two copies in case one fails).

Another great suggestion is Google Photos which offers unlimited free storage of photos online (at a maximum resolution of 8MP which is more than enough as a free online backup or you can pay for more). I don't know how well you can go sharing them from here though as it's not something I have tried, from what I read you can post a *link* to the photo, but not imbed the image directly, so not at all ideal.

From a forum point of view this recent fix solves the problem by copying in the photos within minutes of them being posted, saving them within the forum. This comes at a cost of storage space and bandwidth... about 300% more storage so far + 25% - 50% more bandwidth, although this is a bit unknown since it's such a recent change.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Hawk: First, allow me to add my appreciation for your efforts to those already expressed here - I wish I had your cleaver nous for programming, but alas I'm a Luddite where anything but assembler language is needed!!
    I’m not nearly as clever as I seem, but I appreciate the thanks.

I was able to load an image from my laptop, but I was not able to use the "remote" facility. I thought that I would replicate my previous effort (i.e. transferring a .jpg file from Imgur)
    The remote facility seems to be pretty hit and miss, loading from you computer seems to work which will likely be the most common solution. I don’t know what the issue is coming from Imgur, but it’s not something I seem to be able to fix. If you are posting a link from elsewhere, just post that link directly in the forum… within minutes it will automatically grab the photo and update the link anyway.

I've forgotten that there is no way of deleting a picture once you leave the Image Loader. Just as a suggestion, is it possible for the forum member who posted the picture to delete it when in the gallery - if the member is logged-in?
    After you upload an image you are given a delete link, but yes, it’s never shown again. This essentially only covers you fixing something you immediately realise was uploaded in error, after that you would have to use the “report” button you get in the gallery view to flag an image for deletion.

As for user level access… there are alternative image hosting software options that would allow this (although not using the same username/password as the forum sadly) which I am looking into. None of them are as simple as photobucket was when it comes to simple uploads and easy to copy links ready to post into forums. I’ll keep looking, but this simple little tool should cover people in the short term (and like I said the forum is automagically capturing all the photos on the fly anyway.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Well I may have stumbled onto something that worked for me , I can still open my Photo Bucket pages and see my saved photos . If I right click on the photo and use "save image as "it will save the selected photo to a folder or picture folder on my PC , then if I want to post that to the VW forum I just use the upload from computer / select photo and then upload and its done . I can't see how Photo Bucket can stop me as its is from my computer not from their site any more .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    Well I may have stumbled onto something that worked for me , I can still open my Photo Bucket pages and see my saved photos . If I right click on the photo and use "save image as "it will save the selected photo to a folder or picture folder on my PC , then if I want to post that to the VW forum I just use the upload from computer / select photo and then upload and its done . I can't see how Photo Bucket can stop me as its is from my computer not from their site any more .
    It's possible to use links rather than photos and still use Photobucket, although who wants to click on every link to open a photo in a other window?

As for your own photos, yes you can still access them (although some people have had issues). There is even some google chrome plugins that would allow you to download all your photos in one go (although the good one is $1.99).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Noticed I was among the users who lost all photos on this forum, but they have all been regained thanks to the effort of the team. Greatly appreciate the effort
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Aaron thanks so much for this. Your work is really appreciated by myself and a lot of the crew I catch up with. Well done and if I see you sometime I definitely owe you a beer or coffee.

The forum has given me most of my friends in Melbourne, and the documentation of builds, cruises, events and general shenanigans. The records of all of this are important to maintain. Thanks for your work on this.
    Mk3.Mk4.Mk1
    My Mk1 Project

Users Country Flag
    Hawk, it seams I've used Flickr, google photos, tiny pic etc and many other image hosting sites and very little work. I've found ctrlq to work but it cuts the image by 1/3 which is getting frustrating haha. Is there any reason why a google/flickr arn't working for me? I don't think I'm doing anything differently from the years on this forum
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Is there any reason why a google/flickr arn't working for me? I don't think I'm doing anything differently from the years on this forum
    There shoulnd't be any reason they aren't working. Is this just a case of the images not showing up when you post them here?

Go and start a new thread over here and send me a PM with a link (mostly to remind me) and I'll have a look and see if I can see what's going on.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f140/

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    awesome work Hawk and well done, its pretty amazing to get such a success rate...

a personal thanks from me too as my photos were luckily in the batch of photos that survived, cheers...

i'm actually due an update and wondering what to use now, i was going to use flickr if you'd recommend it...
    Agreed, thanks Hawk for all your hard work on this one.

Out of interest did the new feature where it downloads a copy of the photos and does a new link work on my new thread i just posted here :-

Turbo Muffler Delete fitted

I created the post using links to my photobucket, and would be interested if anyone can see the photos in it?
    2016 MY17 Polo GTI with DA package. TMD fitted + Weather strip and Snow Screen removed otherwise dead standard.

Quote Originally Posted by sssstew View Post
    Agreed, thanks Hawk for all your hard work on this one.

Out of interest did the new feature where it downloads a copy of the photos and does a new link work on my new thread i just posted here :-

Turbo Muffler Delete fitted

I created the post using links to my photobucket, and would be interested if anyone can see the photos in it?
    Yes, came up OK

Users Country Flag

Yay! great to hear. Nice work Hawk
    2016 MY17 Polo GTI with DA package. TMD fitted + Weather strip and Snow Screen removed otherwise dead standard.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast