Support VWWC

Thread: Odd AC smell - like pure alcohol

Odd AC smell - like pure alcohol

Hi there,

I just bought a 2013 103tsi golf, I have noticed a strange smell coming from the AC. I have seen posts describing the 'smelly sock' smell but what I am dealing with almost smells like pure alcohol. And it doesn't seem to fade no matter how long the AC is on or how hight the fan speed setting is. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this smell and if it is the same fix as the smelly sock scent I.e. replacing the pollen filter?

Users Country Flag
    Time for a new cabin filter and all your problems will go away. This is the one you want for a Mk7 Golf: https://runautoparts.com.au/filters-...uk-26-009.html

Or this one if you are feeling fancy: Cabin Air Filters | VW GOLF Cabin Air Filter 2013-2017

And you will need to continue replacing the filter every few years.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I have always thought that smells were caused by moisture remaining on the evaporator from the humidity in the air. I believe bugs can breed on the surface causing smells. I think you can by a product from Wurth that is used to clean the outside of the evaporator.
    If I run my AC I try to remember to turn the compressor off before I reach my destination but leave the fan running to dry it off.
    I have owned my Golf for over 11 years now & only replaced the cabin filter once. No smells from mine.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

This has a similar ring to it that was reported on the T5 Forum a few weeks ago , turned out to be rotting leaves and stuff that was in the chamber below the windscreen . The vents to the inside and then the filter are right there , maybe someone spilt a bottle of booze in there ?

I changed the filter and used some Auto Glym AC Cleaner, smell is now completely gone! Thanks for the help. The old filter absolutely stank, previous owner obviously hadn't kept an eye on it.

Not really an old car, you'd have to ask why it wasn't changed during servicing, I'm gonna guess cause its not included with fixed price servicing since that came in. Must be tonnes of stinky cars getting about these days of all makes....

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    Not really an old car, you'd have to ask why it wasn't changed during servicing, I'm gonna guess cause its not included with fixed price servicing since that came in. Must be tonnes of stinky cars getting about these days of all makes....
    Probably not too far from the truth, now if the dealer only charged $20 not $60+ for it most would have it done.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

I usually change all the cars air filters at the same time The one for the engine AND the one for the people.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T