Thread: Misplaced Logbook

Misplaced Logbook

NFI where it is lol.
    Before I contact the dealer sounding like a fool,
    What are the chances they could provide me with a replacement logbook filled with service history?
    Has anyone had success requesting this before??
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Users Country Flag
    Dealer might not of put it back into your car after the last service.

Users Country Flag
    What car?

Passat, it's in the top of the glovebox. Caddy, it's usually buried up the front of the overhead storage tray, where you can't reach it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

It's for a Polo
    I've looked everywhere. I'm proud to say the car isn't filled with sh*t and mess so if it were there I'd find it.

I think you're right ian... Might give them a ring. I'm fairly sure they have the car on record and can print off the history...
    captain courteous enjoys vag

Funny. I just bought a 2nd hand Touareg. Obviously well maintained, drives nice, no issues. I didnt even look for the logbook when purchasing, I just didnt care that much (the car was rare so I was like, meh).
    Anyway I pull the book apart to look for the service records the other night, and sure enough the service logbook is for a Touareg.... but a completely different one than mine! And no stamps at all!

***edit*** - can you ask VW about the service history of a car? Or rather, if you do, will they give it to you?
    Last edited by gldgti; 07-09-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Short answer; no.

Been down this road a few times. Basically, it falls under a/the privacy act, whereby the service history should only be known to the person who owned the car at the time the service was performed.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Courteous View Post
    It's for a Polo
    I've looked everywhere. I'm proud to say the car isn't filled with sh*t and mess so if it were there I'd find it.

I think you're right ian... Might give them a ring. I'm fairly sure they have the car on record and can print off the history...
    In a 6R Polo open glove box Empty the sh** out lift the flap in the floor of the glovebox and all will be revealed
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Short answer; no.

Been down this road a few times. Basically, it falls under a/the privacy act, whereby the service history should only be known to the person who owned the car at the time the service was performed.
    Yeah... So I ended up at the local dealer today getting a pollen filter, and I asked the dudes at the parts desk, they said much the same thing.

I'm a little perplexed about it really, I mean I don't know how I could put the information to a malicious use if I had it.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Best I could get was what was done at certain services, verbalised to me over the phone. No copies of invoices, or anything like that.

But that was twisting the arm of a contact within that dealership to get that info, though.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

In around '03 I purchased a S/H T4 from a private owner north of Sydney. The service record was different [read sloppily filled out] from what the owner had told me. I phoned CCC about a timing belt change but wouldn't tell me anything, hiding behind privacy laws. I had to phone the previous owner who was happy to call them but because he was non technical he didn't ask the questions I wanted to know.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels