Thread: lemon laws

lemon laws

Interesting article on the % of new car buyers with problems.

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...mer-law#survey
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Good read, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Also, it's good to remember when someone buys a cheap car, for example Kia, he/she has somehow lower expectation to the ones who buy +$60,000 Audi and therefore let some of the faults slide.

Such surveys usually don't distinguish between a blemish in the trim and engine falling out of the car.

Never liked Choice, all they want is to get your attention, get you to their website and then subscribe to their expensive magazine.

I hope they don't really mean that the 5years old car is a brand new.

Choice lost it for me when they started taking advertising $ and then claiming that they're still independent.

And you can make statistics say anything that you want them to. It's how they are interpreted/reported that is the difference.

Good news/journalism doesn't pay. It's the sensational stories/headlines that gets the hits/clicks/conversion ratios unfortunately.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Also, it's good to remember when someone buys a cheap car, for example Kia, he/she has somehow lower expectation to the ones who buy +$60,000 Audi and therefore let some of the faults slide.
    Very true.
    After reading problems that buyers on this forum have had, it's interesting to see that other manufacturers are experiencing similar faults & very close in % points.
    The higher the cutting edge technology built into new cars, the higher the chance of more things to go wrong.
    The comment by Peeter at the bottom of the page about sample size is very valid as well.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Very good point.

When I bought my mid spec Hyundai Santa Fe in 2011, which wasn't cheap by any comparison and at the time the Santa Fe was their flagship car, I had issues with the thin leather on the steering wheel peeling from new, the soft rubberised surface on the drive door ledge just peeling and really bad creaks near the front A pillars meet the dash and windscreen. The service guys just said sorry its a Hyundai, they use hard plastics and just try and spray some silicone in there. They said everyone complains but we know Hyundai HQ won't fix it.....so they weren't going to bother either.

VW aren't much better , a VW Transporter Van comes in around the $40 k plus mark for an empty box with two seats and not much else . Our last one came with original fit factory Chinese quality doors , when you shut the doors they would rebound with a resounding double clunk . Did not sound anything like those VW adds on TV when customers were buying a new car and the salesman would shut the doors and say just like Golf , ours sounded more like a Cherry car [wait that might be an insult to Cherry ] But VW,s remedy when I complained at first service ? lubricate the striker plate Groan