Thread: Decline in diesel car sales...

Decline in diesel car sales...

Diesel cars in decline

BMW says it expects sales of diesel-powered versions of its new 3-Series sedan to decline as more people are drawn to turbocharged petrol engines.

Users Country Flag
    I read the piece in the Sydney Morning Herald and it is interesting. One thing though is that you have to take such things with a pinch of salt. BMW are not one who have a great range of diesel powered cars, and as such, this could be case of trying to bolster their own petrol engined car sales.

Also, when there is a trend away from a particular type of car or engine, you will always get a surge to start with after which you get a settling down. This is because cars are something you do not replace annually.

It is interesting reading however.

Users Country Flag
    Who buys the BMW to save on fuel?

i love the drivability of my diesel, the fuel economy etc etc (syd-melb on about 40L of fuel, and that's not being shy with overtaking up hills etc), however what with dpf's and all the other stuff being done to diesels these days i'd be hard pressed to buy another one, especially considering the impressive advances made with petrol turbos - the new bmw 3 series and 5 series being prime examples.

similar frugality, similar power and torque, lighter weight, no DPF to worry about (although im sure there's other tech that could go wrong with these newer engines).

shame about that, and yet new turbo petrol tech is pretty exciting in its own right - 1.0L 3cyl petrol turbo in the 950kg vw gt up!, with (supposedly) up to 81kw and 175nm - BRING IT!

I swapped cars with a family member recently and drove their chipped MK5 2.0TDI instead of my MK5 2.0T for a couple of weeks. Love the fuel economy, but everything else was a turn-off. Laggy throttle response (particularly below 2500rpm) poor power band and spikey power delivery were not my cup of tea.

Diesels are great if you're chasing economy or a change from the status quo, (if you've had five petrol BMWs, why not try an oiler?) but I don't personally plan on buying one.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Who buys the BMW to save on fuel?
    Actually, the majority of BMW's are company leases where it is the brand name that is all they are concerned about. Everything else does not matter.