Definitive Car

Thread: Which golf to buy

Which golf to buy

Hi guys, sorry not sure which forum to post this in. I'm after a recommendation on a golf to purchase (or polo). Looking at around 15k budget give or take. Main concerns are ride comfort and something with not too many problems. Not sure what models/years to avoid. Not concerned too much about power. Wondering if i could get some pointers and what to look for.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Avoid the Golf Mk6 118TSI

Avoid any VW or Skoda with the DQ200 7-speed dry clutch DSG gearbox
    Golf 118 TSI
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Hi guys, sorry not sure which forum to post this in. I'm after a recommendation on a golf to purchase (or polo). Looking at around 15k budget give or take. Main concerns are ride comfort and something with not too many problems. Not sure what models/years to avoid. Not concerned too much about power. Wondering if i could get some pointers and what to look for.

Cheers
    With that budget, you could negotiate youself a brand new Polo. Dealers will be eager to offload current model with new one on the way. New car with warranty and peace of mind.

2015 Tiguan 130TDI R-Line, Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Yup i agree seen polo 16999 drive away advertised and you know if you say 15 large and try to walk out the door they will cave in

Give it a go and see or i bet you could get a polo demo with less than a thousand on the clock for even less!
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

I'm after an auto so new polo is a touch out of the range and it'd be the bone stock base model. More so scared of the instant depreciation as soon as i leave the door. Will still think about it.

Looking at a 2014 comfortline vs 2013ish highline. Same generation so guessing they're the same. Would you guys reccomend a highline with a bit more k's than comfort line? I like the interior heaps. Not sure on the repressions of diesel. Any less reliable or anything i'd notice?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    I'm after an auto so new polo is a touch out of the range and it'd be the bone stock base model. More so scared of the instant depreciation as soon as i leave the door. Will still think about it.

Looking at a 2014 comfortline vs 2013ish highline. Same generation so guessing they're the same. Would you guys reccomend a highline with a bit more k's than comfort line? I like the interior heaps. Not sure on the repressions of diesel. Any less reliable or anything i'd notice?

Cheers
    I have a diesel in my alltrack they have good torque and economy plus the diesel highline has the 6 speed wet gearbox which if serviced every 60k is virtually bullet proof (unless you slip the clutch that is)

I have a workmate who i got to buy a mark 7 diesel highline he loves it
    I owned a mark 6 diesel highline for 8 years and now my daughter has it as a 1st car has 150k on it with no issues at all nothing spent except for usual stuff i.e brakes ect
    The only thing you must do with a diesel is ensure its been serviced properly every 15k and the dsg has had a service at 60k and dont forget that if the car has 80+k on it you need to do timing belt at 105k (about a 1000 to 1200 dollar job with a major service)
    Dont buy a diesel if you dont do some freeway 45min+ at 90+kph driving at least fortnightly pref weekly to get the car to regen the dpf (diesel particulate filter) if all you do is short commuting and lots of stop start traffic all day get a petrol model

Hope you find what your looking for

P.s highline is the way to go vry plush
    Last edited by Kachingg; 06-02-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

At 2013/2014 year mark you might want to look at some early releases of the Skoda Octavia Mk3 which came out around then. The Elegance models were really nice and sold well before the first RS models came out which you will find towards the end of 2014.

Users Country Flag
    Buy a Mazda
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    He said he wanted to avoid makes/models with problems . . .

He should buy a Toyota or a Hyundai (the whitegoods cars).
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag

Well hes on the wrong forum isnt he LOL
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan