Definitive Car

Thread: Fake R8 coil pack?

Users Country Flag

Fake R8 coil pack?

Hi all - after a few intermittent misfire events that threw up a P0303 fault, I thought it best I replace (and upgrade) the original coil packs on my MY12 gti. After a bit of shopping around online, I ordered some for a good price (not a ridiculously good price!) from an australian seller that claimed they are new R8 coil packs and quoted P/N 06E905115E. They were delivered without hassle.  
    Upon inspection of the received coil packs, I note there is no printed P/N etc data anywhere on the units. There is a "VWAG" stamp/molding into the black plastic neck area. Their individual boxes are plain brown. A bit of a google image search confirms that at least some have printed P/N info on the plug tongue bit. Methinks mine are a bit suss. For those of you that sourced your R8 coil packs from more reputable retailers - did you note any printing on the units?

Sigh - buyer beware!

Users Country Flag
    Forgive my ignorance, but isn't difference between R8 and non-R8 coil packs, just the fact that they're red?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    they'll say eldor and have the part number printed on the flange where the coil packs plug slides on.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    they'll say eldor and have the part number printed on the flange where the coil packs plug slides on.
    Thanks Sam - that's what I expected (and feared). Mine have "Made in China" on them, I wouldn't think the manufacturing facility (of genuine units) would alter any labelling requirements on them.

There are a number of different manufacturers who make coil packs for the R8. I've even heard of some genuine NGK coil packs having no printing on top like many of us have seen. By the looks of the NGK website images there should be an "NGK" and a part number on the neck of the coil pack.

Just because your coils don't have the part number printed on them doesn't mean they're junk. If your coils were stuffed then those questionable R8 coils will still be better. Plus, they're easy to change. Throw them in and get on with life for another 20,000km.

Coils matter if you're getting missfires. New plugs and coils can eliminate the missfires (if the old ones were the cause in the first place). R8 coils are claimed to have better resistance than stock coils and people have claimed better idle on the R8 coils. Others say it's all placebo.

They're also sexy red on top which VW and Audi owners love because our engines are uglier than a bucket of hemorrhoids without the plastic cover on top.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Mk R - the units themselves looked pretty solidly built, and even had some (presumably dielectric) grease already applied to the internals, so its not like they are poor knockoffs. I've fitted them (didn't have a lot of choice at short notice) and the misfires are gone and I think (it may be placebo/relief/dreaming) that the engine is running smoother - especially at start up. Maybe they are the real deal. The plugs are 12mths(10k kms) old.

I've held onto the old coils for emergency use. I'll update the thread in a while with a report on my experience with these coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post
    Thanks Mk R - the units themselves looked pretty solidly built, and even had some (presumably dielectric) grease already applied to the internals, so its not like they are poor knockoffs. I've fitted them (didn't have a lot of choice at short notice) and the misfires are gone and I think (it may be placebo/relief/dreaming) that the engine is running smoother - especially at start up. Maybe they are the real deal. The plugs are 12mths(10k kms) old.

I've held onto the old coils for emergency use. I'll update the thread in a while with a report on my experience with these coils.
    Awesome! If you think it's running smoother then it is

Quote Originally Posted by Insipid View Post

Awesome! If you think it's running smoother then it is