Definitive Car

Thread: Eric VW extended new car warranty. Anyone use it, anygood?

Users Country Flag

Eric VW extended new car warranty. Anyone use it, anygood?

Hi peeps, our golf is coming up to 3 years old and would like to extended the warranty after the gearbox issue. Called the dealership and they said Eire insurance is what they are now using and has replaced Allianz/swan. They said it's exactly like the vw new car warranty. Prices for additional 3 years is 1500 and 2150 for 4 years.

I havent had a chance to read the full disclosure as yet. Has anyone bought this cover or know about it?
    just want to see if it's any good or if there's anything hidden that I'm unaware of as yet.

Appreciate the help.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sorry it's eric, misspelt

I would look very, very carefully at the terms, conditions & limitations of any "non-VW" warranty offered by a dealer. Many require servicing with a particular dealer and are very restrictive in what they will actually cover. Once you look at them properly you may decide to go to another VW dealer to buy a "VW" (backed by Allianz) warranty, you can buy them from any VW dealer.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 16-10-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Thanks for the reply Greg. I did confirm and check that it's Australia wide warranty and it doesn't need to be serviced at a particular dealer to have the warranty. The only limitation I can so far see is that the max claims is to the amount of the cars purchase price. Eg, if we paid 30k then you will be covered to the maximum amount of 30k regardless of how many claims or items claimed.
    They call it a mirror image 5 star warranty which was mentioned it's a rebranded swan insurance cover.
    Just called another dealership and the pricing was even better,
    1330 for 3 years, 1640 for 4 years or 1815 for 5 years. Seems bloody awesome so far, still reading through the disclosure.

I got a quote recently on both Allianz and Eric warranties. The Allianz was nearly twice the price. I went through the PDS for each and could not see any differences. In addition, the sales agent claimed the T&Cs were identical.

FWIW I had an Allianz warranty extension on my mk5 GTI and used it three times. Saved me a motza. I had no issues with claiming - it was seamless and claims were handled by the dealer. All I had to do was drop my car at the dealer and pick it up when it was fixed.

However, I have no experience of the Eric warranty. Keen to hear experiences of it, too.

Edit: $1,330 is fantastic! Can you PM me the dealer, please. What car was this quote for, by the way?
    Last edited by Splashalot; 16-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

Quote Originally Posted by Splashalot View Post
    I got a quote recently on both Allianz and Eric warranties. The Allianz was nearly twice the price. I went through the PDS for each and could not see any differences. In addition, the sales agent claimed the T&Cs were identical.

FWIW I had an Allianz warranty extension on my mk5 GTI and used it three times. Saved me a motza. I had no issues with claiming - it was seamless and claims were handled by the dealer. All I had to do was drop my car at the dealer and pick it up when it was fixed.

However, I have no experience of the Eric warranty. Keen to hear experiences of it, too.

Edit: $1,330 is fantastic! Can you PM me the dealer, please. What car was this quote for, by the way?
    Originally the first dealership tried to sell me the Allianz, 1850 for 2 years. Spoke to tim from Werribee VW and he said it's the same warranty as the Allianz, except for the price cap of the cars total purchase price, and same as the new car dealer warranty.
    Finished reading through the disclosure and it seems fine, and hearing you had the extended warranty without issues claiming makes me happy.
    I also called back the original dealer that only sold Allianz at $1850 for 2 years and mentioned the Eric warranty is a great deal and she sold it at her previous dealership, said it's the real deal and matches Allianz but much much cheaper. I asked why she didn't offer it to me, she said her dealership doesn't sell it unfortunalety and it's a better deal for sure.

Users Country Flag

ERIC bought the Swann warranty insurance business, and are now the warranty insurance providers for Audi and Mercedes the same as Allianz is for VW... I am looking into it for my Touareg and Eric is probably where I will go. Redbook also resell a warranty insurance from Virginia Surety, slightly cheaper I think with other differences on kilometre limit etc..

Coming soon: MY19.5 Tiguan 162 R-Line + S&V White
    Now: 2017 MK7 GTI|Reflex Silver|Manual|Poverty Pack
    Gone: 2010 Golf VI GTI|Carbon Steel|DSG|MDI|Leather|18" Detroits|APR Stage 1