Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead battery covered under 3yr warranty

Users Country Flag

Dead battery covered under 3yr warranty

Hey all, thought I'd share something not many would expect (I think).

My battery died yesterday, and upon enquiry with VW Assist, they cover battery replacement under the 3 year vehicle warranty.

The guy came out, did some tests, swapped the battery and I signed some paper. It was that easy

I was surprised as all the Japanese cars and Koreans I've had only covered battery for one year.

Car is over two years old, probably shouldn't have failed at that age, but was nice to know they covered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag
    The batteries fail for all sort of reasons, some of them could be not long enough trips, being flattened a couple times or just they're defective and simply won't last.
    It's good to know that VW guarantees them for the time of the warranty.

Users Country Flag
    I had a battery replaced in an A3 under warranty.
    Was pleasantly surprised at the time. It was only just shy of 3 years at the time.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    agentthumb: different but related question - when the VW Assist guy (girl?) replaced your battery, did he (she?) use a BEM battery and did he (she?) reset the CAN Gateway module to tell it to restart the battery history records for the energy management facility in the car?

This is only necessary if your mk7 has the battery monitoring module connected to the negative battery terminal - as below

The problem if this is not done is that as the battery ages, the energy management system tailors the charging regime to match the reducing capacity of the battery. If the Gateway module isn't told about a battery change, the energy management system continues to under charge the new battery because it believes that it is connected to an aged battery - which results in lower capacity in the new battery and ulimtely, reduced battery life.

If this has not been done - you might need to fire-up your trusty VCDS cable and do the following (go to the UDS section @ about 4:45 mins into the video)

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 19-07-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    agentthumb: different but related question - when the VW Assist guy (girl?) replaced your battery, did he (she?) use a BEM battery and did he (she?) reset the CAN Gateway module to tell it to restart the battery history records for the energy management facility in the car?

This is only necessary if your mk7 has the battery monitoring module connected to the negative battery terminal - as below

The problem if this is not done is that as the battery ages, the energy management system tailors the charging regime to match the reducing capacity of the battery. If the Gateway module isn't told about a battery change, the energy management system continues to under charge the new battery because it believes that it is connected to an aged battery - which results in lower capacity in the new battery and ulimtely, reduced battery life.

If this has not been done - you might need to fire-up your trusty VCDS cable and do the following (go to the UDS section @ about 4:45 mins into the video)

Don
    Hey Don,

No the trusty boy did not connect anything onto the OBD port. I reset all the codes after he's left, didn't know you had to reset the power management part.

I find it surprising that my MacBook is capable to assess its battery health, and knows when a new battery is plugged in by measuring the max capacity, yet a car worth 10x more is not able / does not have the same feature built in

Will give the steps above a go shortly.

Thats good to know, my Santa Fe killed a battery 18mths in and it was at my cost to fix it. Although I'm pretty sure it was an LCD monitor in the ceiling that killed it by a parasitic drain.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Battery doesn't have a BEM sticker. It's an Enirgi branded one with the same spec. So I'm just going to change the serial number in BCM to trick it into thinking there is a new battery.

If you buy a battery from the dealer, based on your VIN, do you still need to make any changes through VCDS?

Sob I miss the old days BEM /Battery History/ Power Managment . What gives if I go out to my trusty T5 van with 310000kays on the clock and it starts thats all I need , If it doesnt start then it needs a new one simple as ! Modern cars are a pain in the butt , I did a sunroof repair on a BMW X5 a few months back and as per normal did a complete reset procedure so that the sunroof learns new values caused by the new parts . Well duh after doing the reset it would not then go into the full one touch mode . Stupid car had to go to the BMW dealer so they could tell the car that it had new parts , moronic BCM had logged the previous values and refused to clear them with the reset procedure . Here was the kicker though even after they did the diagnostic on the BCM and cleared the faults they still had to replace the battery as it was in an almighty disagreement with BCM . The car started and ran as normal as an everyday car should but the complexity of the battery and some sort of power management system made it have a heart attack . Do not see the point of this , like I said turn key van starts turn key no starting replace battery simple as .

Users Country Flag

Fully agree with you Sunny. It is why I am so reluctant to let go of my old Mk3, it is a simple car that just works and works and works. New ones have some nice mod cons but also seem needlessly complicated and prone to failures.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast