Definitive Car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank seal leaking on 09 Jetta twin charger

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Depends how the seal comes.

Not many come as a seal on their own anymore. It's usually part of a seal plate.

FWIW T5GP BT front crank seal plate is just under $400 retail, R36 Passat front seal plate is around $300.
    Understand that these are a seal within an (I assume) alloy housing but 40 plus years in the truck and bus spare parts business, many of those spent dealing with major German OE and aftermarket suppliers tells me that there is an enormous profit margin built into these items at that sort of price.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Not for me there isn't, especially when in most cases it's genuine-only, from the dealership.

Trade price there is retail minus 10%.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Not for me there isn't, especially when in most cases it's genuine-only, from the dealership.

Trade price there is retail minus 10%.
    Yep, the profit is raked in by VW.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by blower View Post
    2 hours labour - this will be the front seal, i.e. the pulley side.

That seal is about $50 AUD from VW, and is separate part no. 038103085E - it fits into the timing chain cover and can be renewed without taking the cover off (which is just as well as that's a fairly big job on this engine).
    That's correct, driver's side. Actually been done again since then as it had the dreaded piston failure shortly after at 78,000 km. When doing the rebuild the dealership supposedly put another new seal in which leaked. Returned car to have diagnosed and had to return again another day to have a sump gasket renewed. Still leaking so returned car again to find that they had misdiagnosed, so had to return again another day to have another front seal fitted.
    Also when I got the car home after the rebuild, I discovered that they managed to lose one of the grommets holding the engine cover on and pushed the front of the right hand front guard where it folds over the headlight, leaving a slight crease. Thankfully, this was all fixed during my many visits and all the work was covered under warranty. I just worry about their work I can't see.
    The first seal replacement was done at an independent, which I will continue to remain with after this experience.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    MY 09 JETTA 118 TSI 7 spd DSG

Users Country Flag
    The seal should be replaced with a special tool - if not it is easy to damage and hence leak.
    Also the crankshaft surface must have no oil or grease on it when it is inserted into the seal - as again if it does have oil it will cause the inner part of the seal to expand and again leak later.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by VW Convert View Post
    Understand that these are a seal within an (I assume) alloy housing but 40 plus years in the truck and bus spare parts business, many of those spent dealing with major German OE and aftermarket suppliers tells me that there is an enormous profit margin built into these items at that sort of price.

Cheers

George
    Of course there is. Just compare the price of new cars now and in the 2000. The materials, labor cost and electricity all went up dramatically, though the price of the cars went down. Car manufacturers have to make profit somehow. Nobody is/never was, in a business just to please others.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    ...Nobody is/never was, in a business just to please others.
    Except the wife...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12