Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art project - progression of rebuilding a wheel

Users Country Flag

Art project - progression of rebuilding a wheel

Hi guys,

I'm after some feedback and help with something I'm doing for Uni. I'll briefly explain my situation and idea, so please bear with me. I'm currently doing a "Learning and Creativity" unit for my Uni course and I have to submit a major project in. The piece will be exhibited in a "market place" environment where other students in my class will also exhibit their work and be able to walk around and see others' work as well. Interaction is encouraged.

It was a no-brainer for me; I've decided to use wheels as the subject, incorporating the rebuilding process (3-piece wheels) as the "learning" aspect, and also introduce a dynamic experience for the audience (the "creative" aspect) by allowing them to spray-paint/finger-paint/splatter-paint to collectively produce a finished wheel.

I'm currently still in the planning stages, but so far I'd like to show four stages/parts of rebuilding a wheel:

1. The battered wheel. I would show a damaged steel wheel (gutter rashes, buckles, loads of rust ). I know this doesn't relate to building a 3-piece wheel but I think it'll be tough looking for a steel 3-piece wheel? I want the effect of rust to show misuse as opposed to oxidised/corroded aluminium or alloy. Thinking of using a prop - a water bottle with H2O2 labeled on it (I'm doing a Science major so this will relate a little).

2. Sandblasted centre + outer lip. Props include various grits of sandpaper.

3. Sanded/filled/primered/spray-puttied centre + half polished lip. Basically to show the many stages involved with preparing a wheel for new paint. It would be a natural progression from left-to-right. Props include the same bits of sandpaper as in display 2, but also include a spray-paint gun, and maybe a tin labeled "elbow grease"

4. The finished product. A fully polished lip and a centre painted silver. Props include a socket wrench and spanner, polishing compound and a rag. I'd also include a palette of different coloured paints for people to use on it.

Further ideas include assembling the 4th wheel mid-way through the exhibition (the decorating of the wheel will be done with the polished lip off).

As for wheel choice, I'm thinking of using SSR mesh for #2, BBS RS for #3, and Volks CV for #4. These wheels I already have

I think it's SSR?

RS032.

Volk CV, will probably use the lip from the 8" pair.

The idea came to me when I first saw some of the Wheel-Whores trophies in some shows. Which leads me to a question, what can I use to hold the wheels up? Most of the wheels on display will not have the inner section of the wheel attached, only the centre and outer lip. I'd like to make wheel stands similar to some of the trophies being handed out in foreign shows, but I don't have a clue on how to get started, so I was hoping for some feedback. Also, if anyone has saved pictures of these wheel trophies, could you please post them up? It would be much appreciated as I'll be able to have a good look at them and think of something for myself.

I'm very open to feedback too, so don't hold back.

I'll document my process and hopefully get some pics up from the actual exhibition when it takes place in approximately 3-4 weeks time.

Cheers,
    Raymond.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Searching around, I found this!

Pretty dope if you ask me! Now I gotta find a welder! Or maybe I can rivet the tabs in...

Edit: And another:
    Last edited by rayray086; 17-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.

They're pretty cool, but look slightly complex (if you're not good with metal atleast)

I think a basic setup could be something like what a picture frame uses, a prop that supports the weight of the wheel. (It's hard to explain without using my hands!)

Get some MDF out, Cut out a round piece, for the wheel centre, nail/glue this centre piece to a support piece (angled to support the weight of the wheel, but with a flat base) and maybe even a base for the prop to stand on.

I'll hit up google images see what I can come up with (yea nah, that was useless, Hope what I wrote makes sense!)
    Last edited by Jarred; 17-09-2010 at 02:09 PM.

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by rayray086 View Post
    Searching around, I found this!

Pretty dope if you ask me! Now I gotta find a welder! Or maybe I can rivet the tabs in...
    that one is pretty damn cool! no reason why you couldnt fab one up with a power drill, a decent pair of tin snips, some thin metal, and some el-cheapo nuts-n-bolts... shouldnt cost more than like $50 from bunnings....

Being the woodworker I am, I'd make stands out of a solid piece of timber and stain/shellac/polish them up for a nice contrast to the polish lips.
    Maybe use an aged chunk of driftwood for the #1 wheel, sanded but flaky/chipped chunk for the second, and so on.

I always thought those Volks were GT-C's, not CV? Regardless, we need to see the finished product.
    edit: I see I was wrong

Ah! Using wood didn't occur to me as I had been thinking metal the whole time. MDF may be a tad on the boring side but I can always paint them up. Though I really like the idea of progressing through the quality of wood used according to the stage of the wheel rebuild, thanks!

Jarred, from your description, do you mean kinda like a lectern, but with a rounded top? (and being more angled downwards)

e.g.

That's not exactly what I had in mind, although if you wanted them off the ground some height maybe yes. (although I figured you'd have a setup on a table or something)

The round bit would be the size of the centre bore of the wheel, with a backing 'plate' to stop the wheel going further over the 'centre bore' piece. (think of hub centric spacer maybe). That bit would hold the wheel up oh the desired angle, and use a vertical piece to support the wheel (going from the base board, to the 'wheel spacer/holder')

So minituraise that lecturn, simplify it, and change the 'book holder' part, into the 'wheel spacer/holder' part. I'd be happy to draw something on the weekend for you, would make it alot easier to understand! (at GAF )

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Something like this Jarred? Very quick cad drawing!! Might want a bit more angle on it too! I reckon glue/nail/fill nail holes spray paint MDF would look good, and do the RS'!!

Users Country Flag
    ray i would be happy to help you out and ive got a few bits n pieces wheel wise,floating about lips and centres

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    I would have gotten wood from the picture message you sent me.. But I was sniffing Nitro, so i already had it. Hahaha.

Ahh OK I'm getting it a bit now! And yes, they will be presented on a table (hopefully).

My only problem is making the centrebore part - I've only got a jigsaw at home! I'm thinking instead of making that, I could just drill a hole or two and use a nut and bolt to fix it onto the round wooden plate? Not as elegant but definitely easier haha.

Alex, I've got all the wheels I need but if I think of something I may need, you'll be getting a PM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast