Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel spacers for Golf TDI Highline

Users Country Flag

Wheel spacers for Golf TDI Highline

Hi Guys,
    I have a mk7 tdi highline and I like the standard wheels so im considering just widening the track to make it look a little better.
    I cant seem to find any spacers, does anybody know if they exist or have any tips?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    42 Draft designs in the USA, or anywhere overseas really. Don't get caught in a roadside inspection as they are illegal here ( hence limited local supply ), but plenty of the JDM guys run them.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    They are legal to be sold but illegal to be usd on the road unless originally fitted by the manufacturer. In all States
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

You can get it engineered though cant you?
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    I would seriously doubt that any Engineer would be stupid enough to do that with something that is illegal in ADR Rules

From QLD TMR Wheel spacers must not be used unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle
    manufacturer.

Same in every other state.

If you were an engineer would you put your name to a set on a vehicle

Do it the proper way and buy some wheels with a wider offset
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 01-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I would seriously doubt that any Engineer would be stupid enough to do that with something that is illegal in ADR Rules

From QLD TMR Wheel spacers must not be used unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle
    manufacturer.

Same in every other state.

If you were an engineer would you put your name to a set on a vehicle

Do it the proper way and buy some wheels with a wider offset
    Well, I am an engineer.... not one that does automotive certifications though. Would I certify spacers? Good question. The only thing dangerous about them is that if you are an idiot, you can mount the wheel improperly. There's nothing inherently wrong with them though.

If you use long enough bolts, have the proper hub bore and the offset doesnt compromise the suspension travel..... then I don't see the problem at all. The only risk is that someone (tyre shop) might mount the rim improperly.

Just because something is law, doesnt mean it makes sense
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    So you would willingly certify something that is illegal.

As I understand it they alter the centreline through the bearings and therefore put more strain on them the studs and the hub.

Just because you think its Ok also doesnt make it sensible either

ADR rules are for a reason and should you flout them and have an accident attributable to the illegality your insurance company may not be forthcoming.

Was a photo on here a long time ago of a poster who had spacers and it showed the car with 3 wheels due to shearing the bolts.

There is also a difference between flush faced spacers and adapters with a centre flange.

Some say even adapters are illegal

Results of bad ones here The dangers of wheel adaptors!! - Brakes, Wheels and Tyres - GMH-Torana

The OP should just buy some wheels with wider offset if thats what he wants to achieve
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 13-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Sorry mate - it doesn't gel. The load on bearings would be the same if you used wheels of the same effective offset. No change. Consider that almost all cars have a set of floating brake rotors - its no different.

The danger is improper mounting, which happens when people dont understand enough to do it properly. Thats dangerous no matter what the modification is....

Theres no reason you cant get spacers engineered - just like you can get a LS1 converted triumph stag engineered, or a beach buggy with a subaru engine.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    What I am questioning is how can you ( or an automotive engineeer) overrule ADR rules which are supposedly sacrosant.

They cover most things and yes you can alter some things and there are rules to say that but there is no variation on fitting of spacers.

The ADR rule and the States rules say they are illegal, plain and simple, so how can that be overruled.

As said in my link some have even been told that adapters are classed in a similar vein and are also illegal.

I will question the QLD TMR on Monday for an answer. Here it is

The fitting of spacers or adaptors between wheels and hubs, other than those provided by the
    vehicle manufacturer, is not permitted.
    The tyre and rim must not foul wheel arches or suspension components under any conditions. Steering
    limit stops must not be adjusted to reduce the turning circle in order to allow the fitting of the alternative rims and
    tyres.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 15-01-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The fitting of spacers or adaptors between wheels and hubs, other than those provided by the
    vehicle manufacturer, is not permitted.
    As gldgti pointed out, having modifications engineered can make them legal. I haven't read through the ADRs carefully, but no doubt there are sections that identify which rules may be exempted based on certification by an automotive engineer. Presumably spacers are eligible for this exemption.

Spacers themselves aren't inherently dangerous regardless of application. After all, the ADRs explicitly permit spacers on cars where supplied by the manufacturer (e.g. on some Porsches). All the same risks with respect to changing of wheels apply to these vehicles as any other. If the ADRs considered spacers to be prohibitively risky regardless of the circumstance, they would have banned them without qualification.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast