Support VWWC

Thread: Tyres to replace Michelin Primacy HP

Users Country Flag

Tyres to replace Michelin Primacy HP

Hi guys,
    I need to replace my front 2 tyres in my audi a4 as they are not much thread left now. Was looking at tempe tyres website and found there are quite a lot of choices for the 225/55R16.

Buy New Tyres|Tyres

If I replaced the same tyre, which is primacy HP, will cost $219 for one... Do you guys know of a similar good tyres with a lower price?

If I changed to a different brand tyres on the front, will this cost any issue? As front and rear are different brand.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rockDAhouse View Post
    I need to replace my front 2 tyres in my audi a4 as they are not much thread left now.

If I replaced the same tyre, which is primacy HP, will cost $219 for one...

Do you guys know of a similar good tyres with a lower price?
    The Michelin Primacy 3 (successor to the Michelin Primacy HP) is available from Tempe Tyres on their eBay store for $399 for 2 (which is $199.50 per tyre). That's what I would be getting provided you were happy with the Primacy HP and looking for something in the same performance category.

As both have identical UTQG ratings of 240 A A, the Primacy 3 should in theory have similar wear rates as the Primacy HP (which tend to wear slower than all of its main competitors), so if you can overlook the purchase price, they should provide good value for money in the long run.

On the other hand, if you're looking for performance tyres (softer tread compound, faster wear, more grip), you might consider the Bridgestone Potenza RE002 or Michelin Pilot Sport 3, but these are also around or above the $200 mark.

More generally, ensure the tyre's inflation pressure is correct (or at the very least, slightly overinflated) to reduce premature tread wear.

Quote Originally Posted by rockDAhouse View Post
    If I changed to a different brand tyres on the front, will this cost any issue? As front and rear are different brand.
    Only the construction type (e.g. radial) and the size designation (e.g. 225/55 R16) are required to be identical on a given axle.

Everything else need not be uniform, including: make, model, tread pattern, tread depth, load rating or speed rating.

Note: the load rating must not be lesser than the original tyre, and the speed rating must not lesser than 180 km/h for passenger cars.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the detail reply diesel_vert !!!