Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tirerack experiences?

Users Country Flag

Tirerack experiences?

Looking to order some tires from these guys, including shipping and then fitting and alignment once they get here it is still less than half the price a local supplier can do PZero Nero's for.

Have been offered Fedex economy delivery with a time frame of 3-5 days and it seems the offer is too good to pass up but would like to hear from others about the tirerack experience.
    2003 Bora 4Motion

Users Country Flag
    They're fantastic. If you're happy with the price and the wait isn't an issue, then go for it.

Just keep in mind that if your order is over AUD$1000, including shipping & insurance, then you'll be up for customs etc.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post
    They're fantastic. If you're happy with the price and the wait isn't an issue, then go for it.

Just keep in mind that if your order is over AUD$1000, including shipping & insurance, then you'll be up for customs etc.
    Hi Corey,

GST and Duty only apply if the GOODS ONLY value is over $1000 AUD, shipping doesn't count until you're over $1000 in goods value, then you get taxed on the lot.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well they are quoting $909.03US including shipping so duty tax is all good. Best quote I have got here so far is $520 per corner fitted and fitting alone $20 per corner so doing the math including an alignment and then taking into account the strong dollar its a saving of about $1150AU.

That is a good chunk of money saved and well worth a wait of a week. Also good to know that the shipping isnt included in the tax calculation until the goods exceed the importer status limit.
    2003 Bora 4Motion

I recently got Continental Extreme Contacts from Tirerack. $190 per corner compared to over $400 here! Got it all delivered to my door for $1060. Very impressed and arrived in 6 working days! Also bought some wheels from america and they were shipped for $450 - I didn't realise it wasn't to my door (like tirerack) and got charged an extra $300 for custom fees etc! Wish I just bought everything from tirerack!

Highly recommended, and I recommend them to all my friends and family now too.
    MY10 Occy vRS \\ GIAC Flash Tune \\ 19" VMR v713 \\ It's a Skoda. Honest.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy125TDi View Post
    GST and Duty only apply if the GOODS ONLY value is over $1000 AUD, shipping doesn't count until you're over $1000 in goods value, then you get taxed on the lot.
    Yep, true...

When buying over the internet
    So if your tyres are AUD$1000, and your shipping was AUD$250, you end up paying $50 in customs (5% of goods), $130 in GST (10% of Goods + shipping & insurance + customs) for a total of $1430... or $180 in local taxes - blergh

Edit: And yet, as I was typing the above, here is yet another example of people being charged customs when the goods are less than AUD$1000, but the shipping takes it over....
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I recently got Continental Extreme Contacts from Tirerack. $190 per corner compared to over $400 here! Got it all delivered to my door for $1060. Very impressed and arrived in 6 working days! Also bought some wheels from america and they were shipped for $450 - I didn't realise it wasn't to my door (like tirerack) and got charged an extra $300 for custom fees etc! Wish I just bought everything from tirerack!

Highly recommended, and I recommend them to all my friends and family now too.
    I've unfortunately seen this happen too many times, and although the Customs site seems to indicate that it's the value of the goods only, there is unfortunately no example which clarifies that. So be wary
    Last edited by Corey_R; 24-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.

I think you'll find the $300 charged in that instance is because the delivery only included "ex airport".

the goods still need to be cleared through customs, which involves a local customs/shipping agent and thats where the $300 is charged.

Make sure if you ever get a shipping quote you always ask for a "door-to-door" quote, so that customs clearance etc is all covered
    2007 Audi RS4 with: APR ECU Upgrade; JHM Quick Shifter; Milltek Catback and Downpipes; KW V3 Coilovers; Argon Creative Carbon Fibre Splitters

Users Country Flag
    Tirerack are excellent. very good savings, just bring in two at at time if you think you are going to bump the $1,000 limit.

I suppose you learn from your mistakes, at the end of the day I still got my rims but just had to pay a little extra for them. Not a big loss!
    MY10 Occy vRS \\ GIAC Flash Tune \\ 19" VMR v713 \\ It's a Skoda. Honest.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cheers for all the tips, will be placing the order next week for some PZero love
    2003 Bora 4Motion

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast