Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5x114.3 onto a 5x112

5x114.3 onto a 5x112

I have some thoughts that I've been pondering and was hoping for some comments from people that know quite a bit about wheels and hardware to let me know what they think.

I will in the near future be putting 5x114.3 wheels onto my mk5 5x112 hub. I know there are a couple ways that this is possible but I've been thinking of something new...

The obvious answers are adapters (but I can't afford the extra spacing for some of the wheels I'll be running) and wobble bolts.

Still very much considering wobble bolts but the only downside being that m12 wheels will have to be drilled out considerably to allow for the bolt to sit from what I understand.

So I've been thinking I've seen a bit about stud conversions. Instead of just a normal screw in studs and using wheel nuts I thought about the possibility of m14 > m12 (I've checked and they do exist) combined with m12 wobble nuts should theoretically hold a 5x114.3 (potentially with m12 bolt holes?) pretty secure with hubrings.

This would also allow usage of a small slip on spacer I believe with the studs. (no more than 5mm as with regular length wheel bolts)

My next bit of concern though is that the wheels I want to run have bolt hole covers (think like a bbs waffle plate) would these then interfere due to the studs sticking out and not go on properly?

I've searched but seems to be a bit specific to find details on. Sorry if it's log winded just trying to make sure I'm understood so that informed useful feedback is given. (don't want to hear "get them redrilled or buy 5x112 wheels, it's too unsafe etc etc)
    Last edited by anthony--t; 04-04-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I've heard some horror stories of studs sheering off due to incorrect PCD... But at the same time I've heard of plenty of people have run 5x114.3 with no reported issues. The tolerances on some wheels even make it possible (although tight) to directly bolt them on with stock bolts.

I bought some wheels off a MK5 Golf in the assumption (apparently so did the guy I bought them off) that they were the correct 5x112 only to find out while trying to get hub rings that they were 5x114.3. I wasn't comfortable running them so sold them on.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but wheels are sort of important to your safety while driving a car.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

5x114.3 onto a 5x112

Ok. My ideas and theories about sorting those issues though is that with a m12 stud and a wobble nut on hubrings the wheel should still be perfectly centred and secure. I wouldn't be considering it if I thought it wouldn't be safe.

In my head I'm just thinking that it should be just as safe as wobble bolts but with a skinnier thread pitch which would benefit for wheel lug holes.

Users Country Flag
    The wheel will always be centred if you're using hub rings, it's just a question of what stress you are putting on the bolts/studs.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    if a wheel sheers off the studs and catapults you down the motorway into the path of a bus full of children...
    what will your insurance say when they figure it out??
    do you want to be "that guy" ??

Blackers10 - These are the responses I was talking about. Obviously you lack any sort of understanding about this hardware. Please don't comment if you aren't constructive.

Yes Aaron but what I mean is that the wobble nuts would prevent any stress on the studs. Same way a wobble bolt works. Probably even less stress though.

Users Country Flag
    somebody has to say it mate, just hope it doesn't happen to you

I understand but also fail to see about how it's any different to putting a wheel on yourself with the factory bolts. So long as it's done right and everything's tightened up and quality there shouldn't be any problems.

i run 5x114.3 on my MKV. Im running wobble bolts and hub rings. No problems whatsoever

I think that's the option I'll most likely take as it's less complicated and a proven method.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast