Thread: Coilovers - go adjustable damping or not?

Users Country Flag

Coilovers - go adjustable damping or not?

Hi Guys,

Still looking into basic coilovers for my MK5 Jetta (just street use not a racing machine!) Is it worth spending the extra getting them with adjustable damping or not.. Of course the fixed damping is the cheaper option and better for my wallet at this stage in the year but I just don't want the ride to be too hard like a go-kart.........VDUB....
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubmotorworx View Post
    Hi Guys,

Still looking into basic coilovers for my MK5 Jetta (just street use not a racing machine!) Is it worth spending the extra getting them with adjustable damping or not.. Of course the fixed damping is the cheaper option and better for my wallet at this stage in the year but I just don't want the ride to be too hard like a go-kart.........VDUB....
    I have KW V1s on my S3 and I reckon they are fine without damping adjustment.

Of course it's stiffer than Audi intended but not awful by any means.

I wouldn't bother with damping adjustment. If you back the damping off, looking for comfort, by the time you get any, they stop being able to keep the spring in check and the ride suffers.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Hi Guys,

What's your intended budget mate?

Users Country Flag
    I just don't want the ride to be too hard like a go-kart
    The hard ride comes from the springs
    Damper adjustments change how the wheel reacts to bump and droop - speeding or slowing that acton to make the wheel follow the contours of the road

I feel adjustable dampers are pointless on the street
    Just get a spring/damper combination that is designed for your car model/weigth
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VWindahouse View Post
    What's your intended budget mate?

Not sure at the moment mate.. cheaper the better really but not so cheap they are not worth fitting...Like I said Its no race car just the daily drive so I'm looking for a good drop so the rims sit nice in the arch's but keep a good level of comfort for a city commute... VDUB...
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    i've got dampening adjustable Weitecs on my mk2... and usually have it on the softest setting.
    my mk1 has KW V1's and they're perfect for street IMO.

TBH, unless you want to track it, dont bother spending the extra on dampening adjustable.

any reason why you dont go for lowering springs??

yeh...the original rear shocks are weeping anyway so gives me good excuse to do coilovers!...VDUB...
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Not sure at the moment mate.. cheaper the better really but not so cheap they are not worth fitting...Like I said Its no race car just the daily drive so I'm looking for a good drop so the rims sit nice in the arch's but keep a good level of comfort for a city commute... VDUB...
    I know everyone will tell you you don't "need" damper adjustment and that KW V1's are the best thing since sliced bread. But if you research them enough there are plenty who don't rate them for the money and not to mention those who are having a few different issues with them also (the V1's only for some reason). But then of course there are the brand fan boys who will tell you other wise.

What I suggest you look into is a set of FK Konisports with adjustable height and damper. And amazingly priced for the functionality and reputation of Koni. And I'm sure from time to time you get to a sweet bit of winding road or go on a mountain run. Well it takes two seconds to dial in some damper on the fronts (rears not that easy, but considering you're not tracking and it's a FWD and therefore front heavy it really doesn't matter that much as the springs will be rated for your car from factory) I promise you will soon find out the limits of your rubber

Not to mention a stock like drive with the all the damper wound off for the commute.

Just my 2c's.

PS Koni's can be rebuilt all over OZ.
    Last edited by VWindahouse; 29-06-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks for that mate, will have a look at KONI's online.....Cheers
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST