Thread: MKV GTIis - 18" or 19's"?

MKV GTIis - 18" or 19's"?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what I need to take into consideration when choosing either 18"'s or 19"'s apart from the actual look?

I see a lot of guys choosing to stick with 18"'s, is this mainly due to ride handling/comfort?

I'm planning on getting new wheels/tyres and then matching suspension to get it sitting right,

cheers
    Nathan

19s are perfectly fine, even with coilovers. If worried, make sure the coilovers are damper adjustable

Users Country Flag
    I just swapped the Denvers for a set of 18" rims. A lot of my driving is in the inner-western suburbs of Sydney. I don't have ACC and would think twice about 19' rims. The ride is harsher than it was on the 17" rims and the ruts, potholes and speed humps need to be approached with even more caution. You also notice the irregularities on the patch-quilt concrete roads more. Having said of all that, I wouldn't swap back to the 17' rims. Once on major roads, the differences are not that noticeable. If your Golf has ACC or coil-overs then I wouldn't worry.
    mk VI GTI, manual, reflex silver, basic

Users Country Flag
    Hi, I am here as I am planning to have low profile 19" rim but few of my friends are not recommending to not go above 17". After reading this post and concept of patch quilt, I am confuse to go for it or not!
    I just shop online quilt covers http://www.elanlinen.com.au/quilt-covers in Australia for my bedrooms!

Users Country Flag
    I've gone from 18 to 19 wheels. I drive in Melbourne and don't have DCC, seems fine to me for street driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by newgti View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering what I need to take into consideration when choosing either 18"'s or 19"'s apart from the actual look?

I see a lot of guys choosing to stick with 18"'s, is this mainly due to ride handling/comfort?

I'm planning on getting new wheels/tyres and then matching suspension to get it sitting right,

cheers
    Nathan
    Last edited by chison007; 20-07-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I was wondering the same thing about the 19's on my upcoming Grid Wagon. I'm am wondering if 18's would take the sharp edge off the ride.
    Currently driving a 2018 Golf R Grid Wagon (DSG) in Lapis Blue.
    My wife drives an i30. She is understandably grumpy.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mooncat View Post
    Hi, I am here as I am planning to have low profile 19" rim but few of my friends are not recommending to not go above 17". After reading this post and concept of patch quilt, I am confuse to go for it or not!
    I've had 5 sets of rims on my petrol Octavia hatch in 16", 17" & 18" with various tyre sizes. I run Eibach diesel wagon springs (so they are a fraction heavier than they need to be) with Koni Sport dampers. I'm currently on 18x7.5 ET50 with 225/40r18. I live with 5km of Sydney CBD but drive all over Sydney & out into the regions.

If I was doing it all again I'd fit a light (<16kg for wheel + tyre) 17x8 ET45 with 235/45r17 at 36-38psi. That would be my ideal setup.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Using the tyre size calculator kindly supplied by a dubbie in another thread,
    235/35x19 on 8" to 235/40x18 on 8" would result in 0.28% speedo error and bugger-all ride height change.
    If I plugged in everything correctly...
    Last edited by markzed; 02-11-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Currently driving a 2018 Golf R Grid Wagon (DSG) in Lapis Blue.
    My wife drives an i30. She is understandably grumpy.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by markzed View Post
    Using the tyre size calculator kindly supplied by a dubbie in another thread,
    235/35x19 on 8" to 235/40x18 on 8" would result in 0.28% speedo error and bugger-all ride height change.
    If I plugged in everything correctly...
    That's great but the standard 18" size on a MKV GTI is 225/40r18...
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums