Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk6 GTI - what handling/suspension mods to do first?

Mk6 GTI - what handling/suspension mods to do first?

Suspension is completely standard OEM GTI at the moment.

I know a number of you guys have modified suspension so would love to read your ideas/suggestions.

Aim is to have a great handling car for the streets/spirited drives. I don't intend to do any track work at this stage.
    Last edited by MrGTIandRfan; 01-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I'm in the same boat.
    I wanted to lower mine abit and not sacrifice ride too much.
    WhiteJames has some really good suspension review threads if you run a search.
    I ended up ordering the VWR Sports Springs and an H&R Rear Sway Bar (which I will set to soft).
    I'll be having them fitted in the 1st week of June.
    The springs lower it by 20mm, and are compatible with DCC dampers.

Definitely recommend havin a read of those suspension threads by WhiteJames.
    T Go
    MY11.5 Golf GTI | Bluefin Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake Pipe | AFE Pro 5R Filter | SPM Downpipe | VWR Sport Springs | H&R 22mm RSB | R LED Tail Lights

Quote Originally Posted by MrGTIandRfan View Post
    Suspension is completely standard OEM GTI at the moment.

I know a number of you guys have modified suspension so would love to read your ideas/suggestions.

Aim is to have a great handling car for the streets/spirited drives. I don't intend to do any track work at this stage.
    are you overly concerned with "stance" or "looks" of your car? or do you prefer compliant ride and good handling?

Actually, first thing I'd like to do is get rid of/lessen the effects of axle tramp!

I would like to lower my car, but don't mind other mods first if they end up giving me a better driving experience - ie. sway bars, etc.
    2010 VW Golf MK6 GTI - 3 door | Carbon Steel Grey | DSG | 19" VMR V705 | Carbonio CAI | APR RSC Turboback Exhaust + Stage 2 Tune

Honestly, with stg2, ur always going to suffer traction issues on a fwd car. The white line stuff is borderline in helping IMO, too much power for the chassis, and then u got people that go overboard with ko4. Doesn't make sense. Chasing the wrong thing IMO, if u want big useable power, u bought the wrong car.
    For me, I don't track, but I wanted a better stance to go with the wheels. Eibach is what I chose. Coilovers were overkill, plus they always tend to squeak and carryon as well as potential for ongoing maintenance. Springs, nice And easy

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrGTIandRfan View Post
    Actually, first thing I'd like to do is get rid of/lessen the effects of axle tramp!

I would like to lower my car, but don't mind other mods first if they end up giving me a better driving experience - ie. sway bars, etc.
    Oh, also add that with the eibach springs, the ride is exactly the same as stock, just lower. It's only harsher due to the 19" rubber and even then it's nothing compared to the harshness of the evo9 I had before
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Quote Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
    Honestly, with stg2, ur always going to suffer traction issues on a fwd car. The white line stuff is borderline in helping IMO, too much power for the chassis, and then u got people that go overboard with ko4. Doesn't make sense. Chasing the wrong thing IMO, if u want big useable power, u bought the wrong car.
    For me, I don't track, but I wanted a better stance to go with the wheels. Eibach is what I chose. Coilovers were overkill, plus they always tend to squeak and carryon as well as potential for ongoing maintenance. Springs, nice And easy

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Oh, also add that with the eibach springs, the ride is exactly the same as stock, just lower. It's only harsher due to the 19" rubber and even then it's nothing compared to the harshness of the evo9 I had before
    I have stock mk5 gti, I want to get aftermarket wheels + tyres.. 18" to be exact. Where is the best place to buy springs, for example the eibach ones sound good. Also my actual question: do you need lowered shocks to match the spring or OEM shocks will do the job?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by j_man View Post
    I have stock mk5 gti, I want to get aftermarket wheels + tyres.. 18" to be exact. Where is the best place to buy springs, for example the eibach ones sound good. Also my actual question: do you need lowered shocks to match the spring or OEM shocks will do the job?

Thanks,
    It's always "best" to upgrade the lot, and if u get ultra low springs, u might wear the oem shocks out prematurely. My eibach springs r not super low so matched well with the stock shocks.
    Plenty options available on eBay, tirerack, or even locally if ur not fussed with paying extra.
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Users Country Flag
    Yea I think I have been told/read that anything over a 30/35mm drop should really be new shocks also.
    T Go
    MY11.5 Golf GTI | Bluefin Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake Pipe | AFE Pro 5R Filter | SPM Downpipe | VWR Sport Springs | H&R 22mm RSB | R LED Tail Lights

The eibach customs I have is about an inch more or less

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
    The eibach customs I have is about an inch more or less
    Yea thats about what my VWR's are too. I think its the perfect drop.
    T Go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast