Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: CHINESE TYRES vs BRAND NAME

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Wow, your fascination with certain acts is concerning - you clearly got a little excited writing about it.

Here's a sad song for you and your tyres.

Attachment 31295
    pint size... remind you of something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    As long as these cheap Chinese tyres are fresh, because I saw today Kin Forest tyres on a car that were fitted reacently and they were made in 2014.

I don’t believe for one second that the tyre businesses are bringing here Chinese tyres because they’re good/equal/better than the established known brands or for people that don’t have enough money to get a better tyres. They’re importing cheap Chinese tyres because they buy them for next to nothing and make an absolute killing on them, selling them for few $ less.
    agree with not selling because they doing the world a service.. they are providing a product at a mark up.. like most stores do

on the condition of them.. mine looked and felt like they were in new / good condition.. no hard or discoloured / inconsistant parts.. they still look good

if the shop thought they were better or equal to the rest they would be selling them for a closer price point to goodyear and michellin and making even more.. but they consider them the same as all their other chinese brands.. however.. these and MAYRUN UHP are the same tyre made by the same company with different branding.. and get good reviews.. the guy offered to install something else WINRUN or something and i said the point of this test is to try KINFOREST. its not like ive randomly gone to a shop and bought any **** and now raving on about how good it is.. it was actually a calculated and researched decision.

its also more than a few bucks we're talking about its $220 - $300 per corner cheaper than your top of the line UHP tyre so if you can get reasonable use or quality out of them which i am doing then to me its worth it and money well spent.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    agree with not selling because they doing the world a service.. they are providing a product at a mark up.. like most stores do

on the condition of them.. mine looked and felt like they were in new / good condition.. no hard or discoloured / inconsistant parts.. they still look good

if the shop thought they were better or equal to the rest they would be selling them for a closer price point to goodyear and michellin and making even more.. but they consider them the same as all their other chinese brands.. however.. these and MAYRUN UHP are the same tyre made by the same company with different branding.. and get good reviews.. the guy offered to install something else WINRUN or something and i said the point of this test is to try KINFOREST. its not like ive randomly gone to a shop and bought any **** and now raving on about how good it is.. it was actually a calculated and researched decision.

its also more than a few bucks we're talking about its $220 - $300 per corner cheaper than your top of the line UHP tyre so if you can get reasonable use or quality out of them which i am doing then to me its worth it and money well spent.
    Fair enough, though they can’t sell them for just a little bit less because many would buy an established brand. But you can rest assured they make much bigger profit on them than on a branded tyres.

Fair enough, though they can’t sell them for just a little bit less because many would buy an established brand. But you can rest assured they make much bigger profit on them than on a branded tyres.
    most likely.. if the stores can get them at $10 - 30 a piece and sell for $90 its a pretty good mark up... i think big chain tyre stores i.e BOB JANE or JAX are making good mark ups on all tyres because you get the same high end tyres and MADE IN GERMANY for 50% cheaper at tempe tyres .. I've spoken to someone whos involved in tyre import in sydney and they said tempe tyres prices are closer to a wholesale price for high end tyres and they make $ through sheer volumes.

i've used PIRELLI, CONTI, MICHELIN PS & GOODYEAR ... a couple of sets of michelin PS on the evo were rock solid and the goodyears on the golf R are great tyres if you want or need to drop 250 - 400 per tyre .. you get what you pay for and wont be disappointed. i just thought id find a diamond in the rough and save some $.

so far for me its passed the 5,000km test for both in city / rural driving , conservative / stop start, cruising, spirited, highway, e.t.c and in all condiitons.. hot sunny cold sunny . drizzle, greasy. torrential , fast and torrential e.t.c on highway and 5 - 10'C cold.

although i cant comment on how they might perform on a FWD with a bit of power i.e GTI , SCIRROCO... i know that on a mk7 golf R it is going fine and imagine the same on other 4WD based golf or passat.

Users Country Flag
    As long as these cheap Chinese tyres are fresh, because I saw today Kin Forest tyres on a car that were fitted reacently and they were made in 2014.

I don’t believe for one second that the tyre businesses are bringing here Chinese tyres because they’re good/equal/better than the established known brands or for people that don’t have enough money to get a better tyres. They’re importing cheap Chinese tyres because they buy them for next to nothing and make an absolute killing on them, selling them for few $ less.
    I used to sell premium brand tyres and no matter how good the tyres were, some people wouldn't buy them (no money / about to sell car / no brains). The alternative at the time was retreads or remoulds which were far worse than these Chinese tyres.

We also started importing various tyres from Northern Europe which were totally unsuited to Australia (Mud & Snows, etc) but sold like hot cakes because they were cheap. The profit margin wasn't huge (about 10% without accounting for overhead) but it meant we kept the sale rather than give it to a competitor.

Sometimes you need a loss leader just to keep all the customers happy.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    To be on the safe side mate just check the build date on the tyres to make sure they're not way over already. If they are pretty current tyres I'd still only run them for <2years before a refresh because they'll likely fall away over time.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I used to sell premium brand tyres and no matter how good the tyres were, some people wouldn't buy them (no money / about to sell car / no brains). The alternative at the time was retreads or remoulds which were far worse than these Chinese tyres.

We also started importing various tyres from Northern Europe which were totally unsuited to Australia (Mud & Snows, etc) but sold like hot cakes because they were cheap. The profit margin wasn't huge (about 10% without accounting for overhead) but it meant we kept the sale rather than give it to a competitor.

Sometimes you need a loss leader just to keep all the customers happy.
    That must’ve been decades ago.

You've got to be careful of the deals that are "too good to be true" from the likes of Tempe, Ozzy, other discount wheel/tyre shops. Often they're selling old stock tyres that are 2-3 years old and not "fresh" rubber. It really depends how long you're going to have the tyres on your car for but likely the rubber has already started to go hard. Which might be good for wear life but no so good for grip.

Not that it's necessarily the case with these tyres on test but it would be good to get manufacture date confirmation along with pictures of the tyres/tread wear after 5,000km. Manufacture date as per the DOT code on the tyre:

CHINESE TYRES vs BRAND NAME-191195d1441627845-tyres-st-tire-dot-b-jpg

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    You've got to be careful of the deals that are "too good to be true" from the likes of Tempe, Ozzy, other discount wheel/tyre shops. Often they're selling old stock tyres that are 2-3 years old and not "fresh" rubber. It really depends how long you're going to have the tyres on your car for but likely the rubber has already started to go hard. Which might be good for wear life but no so good for grip.

Not that it's necessarily the case with these tyres on test but it would be good to get manufacture date confirmation along with pictures of the tyres/tread wear after 5,000km. Manufacture date as per the DOT code on the tyre:

CHINESE TYRES vs BRAND NAME-191195d1441627845-tyres-st-tire-dot-b-jpg
    ok will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    To be on the safe side mate just check the build date on the tyres to make sure they're not way over already. If they are pretty current tyres I'd still only run them for <2years before a refresh because they'll likely fall away over time.
    i usually change my tyres every 20 - 30k ... if they push to 40k ill take it

thats usually 1 1/2 - 2 years for everyday driving for work e.t.c
    Last edited by amunra; 08-11-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added info

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast