Support VWWC

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: CHINESE TYRES vs BRAND NAME

I was trying to get them in WA, but the cost of importing them here was almost the same as a Branded tyre. Only one place in WA had it but no stock in my size and wanted me to put on Green...... or something or the other. He swore it was better than Kinforest. lol.
    Ended up getting pricematch at Kmart of AS3 Goodyear.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    . He swore it was better than Kinforest. lol.
    Ended up getting pricematch at Kmart of AS3 Goodyear.

if what he was recommending you is actually better than these kinforest.. then the chinese are definately making some good tyres !.. i hope he wasnt just trying to sell you some junk based on you seeking these ones in particular.. they tried selling me some different chinese tyres at the shop too when i was getting these but I specified they need to be the kinforest .. im at 2,000km+ on this set now and they are solid in the dry and wet so far but have not been doing any hard / danegerous braking... just normal driving with a squirt here n there to test them out when noones on the road.

- also , good purchase with the AS3 if they are the same as AS2.... reviews say they are alot better than AS2 if thats even possible.

Users Country Flag
    Whatever testing or review you do or trying to do here, you will never get to the proper testing conditions of how the tyres are tested by the tyre manufacturer. So, forgive me, but it seems to me pointless and misleading to people who don’t know much about the cars and tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    So, forgive me, but it seems to me pointless and misleading to people who don’t know much about the cars and tyres.
    thats great but it might be useful for the people that do know about VW cars and tyres.

so far the tyres are exceeding my expectations. i had a good 4 hours on the road running errands today in the torrential rain and they perform alot better than i expect in the wet. no traction loss from lights or out of corners and they hold the road extremely well.

so far i've only seen you posting negative stuff TRANSPORTER from your own personal beliefs while im actually out on the road putting my money where my mouth is so you tell me.. what is the point of what your saying ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    thats great but it might be useful for the people that do know about VW cars and tyres.

so far the tyres are exceeding my expectations. i had a good 4 hours on the road running errands today in the torrential rain and they perform alot better than i expect in the wet. no traction loss from lights or out of corners and they hold the road extremely well.

so far i've only seen you posting negative stuff TRANSPORTER from your own personal beliefs while im actually out on the road putting my money where my mouth is so you tell me.. what is the point of what your saying ?
    The point is. No matter what your experience is from your purchase, it’s only your perception and the real tests are done under different conditions by qualified people who know what they’re doing and what they’re looking for.

Users Country Flag
    I think I'll stick to the scientific tests rather than seat of the pants. I usually check the Wheels and Motor annual tyre tests and quite often the tester will say a certain tyre felt good but the results didn't match the feel.

The Goodyear Efficient Grip was the exact opposite of the Conti in that it was crisply responsive, but not quick between the cones, trailing the Bridgestone by almost half a second. The Maxxis in sixth place was similar in that it felt good, but couldn’t deliver against the stopwatch.

Wheels Tyre Test 2017: Eight brands compared | Wheels
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Quote Originally Posted by Rooboy View Post
    I think I'll stick to the scientific tests rather than seat of the pants. I usually check the Wheels and Motor annual tyre tests and quite often the tester will say a certain tyre felt good but the results didn't match the feel.

The Goodyear Efficient Grip was the exact opposite of the Conti in that it was crisply responsive, but not quick between the cones, trailing the Bridgestone by almost half a second. The Maxxis in sixth place was similar in that it felt good, but couldn’t deliver against the stopwatch.

you guys can do as you please as people are free to do what they choose.

noones asking you to read this thread or has a gun to your head asking you to use these tyres.

so far im having a POSITIVE experience and i think you might be getting upset that for now you may be wrong.. but hey in time or in another few thousand KM's you might be right.. or you might be not.

lets see

Users Country Flag

I catch the Motor one each year and while obviously far from a perfect art, the effort they go to eliminate variables and break it down to actual fact rather than thought is impressive.

And what is consistent every year is that the el cheapo stuff is always, always, always well off the pace for performance, and perhaps more critically for the day to day stuff - in the wet and braking distances.

I won't skimp on the black stuff for two reasons - I enjoy my driving, and my family rides in the car. End of story.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    I agree Dutch. I'd hoped that this thread would be beneficial but unless there is some quantifiable data it's not helpful at all.

Telling us that there is "no traction loss" and "they hold the road extremely well" is not helpful as it is opinion only and we have no idea on the style of driving nor comparison data to tell us if the opinion is on the money or not. Any tyre can have no traction loss and hold the road well depending on how it's driven.

As you point out, it's the ability to compare for the critical day to day stuff that's important, like wet and dry braking distances, and in that article I linked there's a 4m difference between the best and the worst. That's about the length of a Polo, so, in an emergency braking situation it might be the difference between kissing the rear bumper or slamming through the rear passenger compartment. The scary part is that the worst tyre in the comparo is standard fitment on the Golf Alltrack. Are they any better than the tyres amuna chose...who knows...
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Users Country Flag

I agree Dutch. I'd hoped that this thread would be beneficial but unless there is some quantifiable data it's not helpful at all.

Telling us that there is "no traction loss" and "they hold the road extremely well" is not helpful as it is opinion only and we have no idea on the style of driving nor comparison data to tell us if the opinion is on the money or not. Any tyre can have no traction loss and hold the road well depending on how it's driven.

As you point out, it's the ability to compare for the critical day to day stuff that's important, like wet and dry braking distances, and in that article I linked there's a 4m difference between the best and the worst. That's about the length of a Polo, so, in an emergency braking situation it might be the difference between kissing the rear bumper or slamming through the rear passenger compartment. The scary part is that the worst tyre in the comparo is standard fitment on the Golf Alltrack. Are they any better than the tyres amuna chose...who knows...
    I can tell you rooboy the standard tyres on the alltrack are garbage after my new hankook v12,s went on it was night and day diffrence

It,s a shame that VW sell this car with such low spec tyres i bet they last a long time but as far as ride quality and grip they are lacking( maybe its cause they expect it to be used offroad or the 4wd to cover up the poor grip?) make sure when they wear out you get a better tyre you will notice the change for sure i did
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast