Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea.

I'm sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea.

Not much action on this site, so I figured I might as well use it to document my car and BLOW PEOPLES MINDS! Drive a boat on the road? How can that be! Prepare to be amazed!

Im calling this car the boat. Because it is the boatiest vehicle I have ever driven, and I've driven boats. On land and in the water.

Due to my emergency daily dying and not being worth the effort of fixing I needed a car asap, as my nissan exa daily was already in the shop and wont come out for at least another month. Talking to my usual mechanic about my delemena he came out and was like "You should buy this passat" andd I was "Nooo. Its european. Its so boring. Its a boat! I need a car" Then he was like "it has a turbo" and I was like "SOLD!" Or something like this. There was a bit more looking at the interior and some other stuff, but for $2500 this was in incredible condition. Picked it up on Saturday, so Im finally able to look at it.

So heres a picture of me driving it:
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/boat.png

For real though, here is a full shot of it:
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/far.jpg

Here is a close up:
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/close.jpg

So I will be using this as a daily car and we are selling our FZ swift sport. When I bought this car I already had 6 cars. One blew up and is gone and only 2 months ago I sold a car because I already had 6 cars then. 4 is enough!

Now I'm on a seriously tight budget so the only new thing going into this car is the exhaust. Which at this rate will pretty much be my entire budget. But here is my list:

--------------------
    Completed - Head unit - Free - Already have like, a billion laying around. However I picked the best quality one that had only 2 channels as I think it'll be fine running speakers without an amp. Here it is without the body:
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...208_203908.jpg

Completed- Amp - $20 - I only had 4 channels laying around and they were not going to be suitable. So I picked up with 400w clarrion 2 channel. Hopefully it works. I bought it from a wrecker so I can return it.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...208_203824.jpg

Completed - Subwoofing - Free - I had a few laying around, I've chosen this one. I used it before in a similar setup and it was alright. And look, it has a doggy on it.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...208_203945.jpg

Completed - Replace BOV (DV) - Free - I have a spare bov from a stock rb20 and a stock lancer evo 1. I plan on trying the rb20 one as I know for the fact the evo one leaks way too much. Im hoping a 6 cylinder 2 litre vs my 4 cylinder 1.8 will leak less.
    - RB20 diverter is in with massive improvement to response.

In progress - Source new solenoid for fuel flap.

In progress - Fix center vents - $30 - I picked up a spare from a wrecker for $30. I will probably break the old one pulling it out, but its already broken. BUt I dont want to make it worse. I have big hands. I Don't like doing this stuff.

Pending - Find the source of the spastic decisions being made by the climate control

Pending - Full exhaust - Will prob cost me about 800-900. How do I get it so cheap? Secrets. Im aiming for 3 mild steel resonators, which I can pick up for $30 and a $40 cannon. I can get the cat and down pipe done for under 500 so Im good.

Pending - Oil catch can - Free - Like, all 90's nissan engines had like, a million PCVs, so I have a fair few on this on hand. Haven't picked one yet.

Pending - Front mount intercooler - $50 - I only had big ones on hand and I didnt feel that it would suit this car. So I picked this one up cheap.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...208_204536.jpg

Pending - Intercooler piping - Low physical cost, high mental cost - The great thing about not buying a kit to save money, is trying to piece together customer intercooler piping on your own! THis is the best part of any car build! And by best I mean the other thing. Not best.

Pending - Heat shield - Cost ??? - I'm actually super pissed at the airbox set up in this car. It is super good and bad at the same time. In order to do the intake work I want I have to shield the airbox area off from the rest of the engine.

Pending - Air box - $10 - I'm going to keep the stock airbox but remove the corner bend to the ram intake and drill a hole in the front of it to install a velocity stack. Two intake pipes can be problem and I normally wouldnt recomend it, but because of the velocity stack attached to the maf and the turbo, it should allow more cold air to be sucked in and more noise to come out. I may also install a scoop on the bonnent, but that is a seperate paragraph.

Pending - Boost gauge - Cost: A large pizza or $30 - I have one lined up from a friend who will sell me a 20psi 60mm gauge for a pizza. If that doesn't work I have another one on the list for $30.

Pending - Some other gauges - $5 - I have a bunch of other brand new gauges I never used. Cant remember what they are, but I'll probably put them in here. Just need cups for them. Good old china made cups for poo change.

Pending - Remove rear badge - free - VW don't make boats, yet somehow I'm driving one.

--------

EXTRA CASH OPERTUNITIES
    These are things I want to do, but will not hold my breath for unless I come across extra non budgeted cash. Being I am a seriously busy man with many cash based activities, this is unlikely.

- Bonnet scoop for air box. I actually have a small one laying around, but the cost is getting it stuck to the bonnet and repainted.
    - Wheels - yeah, I originally wanted to do a budget exhaust, but then I saw the figures on the stock downpipe and cat and thats where my wheel money went instead.
    - Badge less front grill - nope. Exhaust killed that too.
    - Fix cluster controls that do not work. Sure, I cant see my fuel usage, reset my trip computer or even change the time, but I don't have time to look at a dash cluster as I need to focus on putting my foot down to go fast.
    - Suspension - all of its, its **** house.

For those that actually wanted to see the car, then here you go. I can feel myself aging just looking at the photos.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/front.jpg
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/back.jpg

Cost, not including rego, regular maintenance and fuel:
    $2500 - Car, including RWC
    $10 - first round of "new car" injector cleaner
    $20 - emergency oil after buying
    $33 - cable kit for amp and sub
    $100 - list items

Total:
    Last edited by AnmanIndustries; 15-03-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    "Dying 's for fools ... ... Because, because I'm a man." - Charlie Sheen

Users Country Flag
    Love it! Definately following your build it's going to be entertaining for sure

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Haha what a laugh! Thread followed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    always like the shape of B5 !!!
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Love it! Definately following your build it's going to be entertaining for sure
    Entertainment in everything is my goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Domatron View Post
    Haha what a laugh! Thread followed...
    Spoken like a true stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    always like the shape of B5 !!!
    Ya know, I was indifferent to it before I bought it. But I've owned it for less than a week and its starting to grow on me.

So I had the exhaust scoped today. Hahahaha. Yeah. Its stupid. Will take it back for a full discussion and pop it on a hoist to get an accurate cost, but it's looking more like buying the down pipe/cat from overseas. Even if I relocate the cat to under the car, the sheer stupidity in the location of the turbo requires massive fab work. However most overseas ones I think have 100cp cats and not good here. Dunno what I'm going to do here. I'm starting to think I will have to sell something to get this exhaust done. Anyone want to buy some audio stuff? A rabbit? I have some cool posters. Guess Ill wait a few months before I can post sales threads.

Spent some quality alone time with the car scoping it out good and proper today. I have some repairs to do and a scare.

Before I bought the car I checked the oil and it seemed ok. But now it was empty. I guess when we looked at it had been running. The oil was in ok condition too. So I've been hammering for the last two days and then yesterday my wife drove it around a corner and the oil light came on. Sat it down today and the dip stick was bone dry. yay. Further inspection on the engine revealed no leaks except for on the turbo oil lines. Very very minor leaks that would not have caused much issue. Also discovered that the turbo exhaust gasket is gasket cement. Whoever did that was SUPER RETARDED. Will do oil change tomorrow and see what is going on.

Fuel cap doesnt lock. This was a problem I picked up when I bought the car, but I thought it would be the switch, but even after a clean, still not working. Already have a wrecker on it to take out a replacement solenoid on the back.

My dash cluster instruments do not work. No biggy.

The climate control changes its settings randomly when the car turns on. Like, picks a random temperature and fan speed 1 out of 3 starts.

fan vents in center console are jammed. Now broken. Already found a replacement! No idea how to change them over. No idea.

Ill add these repairs to my running list.
    Last edited by AnmanIndustries; 09-02-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Picked up a 4 gauge cable kit for the amp and sub for $33. Rated 1800w and only with a 400w amp? What could I be thinking. *Wink wink* *nudge nudge* You never know what the future might hold.

Actually, you really dont. The price was only 3 dollars more than an 800w kit and I figured if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future I could. I could easily do more than $3 worth of damage to the car just swapping cables I needed to.

Users Country Flag
    Got to love a budget build.

If you're looking for a cheap fix for the boat-like handling stick your head under the rear end and measure how much room you've got to fit a sway bar. Take your measurements to the wreckers and find a sway bar off the front of whatever Jap car suits. Take all the mounting brackets too so you can weld them to the Passat rear beam.

Don't bother trying to find one for the front, rear one makes a big difference, front bugger all.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Got to love a budget build.

If you're looking for a cheap fix for the boat-like handling stick your head under the rear end and measure how much room you've got to fit a sway bar. Take your measurements to the wreckers and find a sway bar off the front of whatever Jap car suits. Take all the mounting brackets too so you can weld them to the Passat rear beam.

Don't bother trying to find one for the front, rear one makes a big difference, front bugger all.
    After driving this car for a few weeks now I am convinced they took a boat and put wheels on it. I know I've been joking about it, but this thing handles like a boat. Its heavy, the brakes are small and it is so soft that the wind rocks it when its standing still.

I've added suspension to my list of wanted mods. It has to be done its terrible.

----------------------

Found the gauges. They have multiple backlight colours. Water temp, oil pressure and voltage.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...211_104419.jpg

Installed the sound system. Only damaged 2 parts of the car in the process. Also reminded why I hate european cars so much. The designers seem to get boners from making it impossible to do anything without dismantling the entire car. Only injured myself 3 times. Biggest injury was a cut from trying to get the cables out of their blister pack. Running cable from the engine bay to the interior had to be the easiest in any car I had ever done in my life. The rest was terrible and I hated it. Head unit was easy.

Chinese fun good cheap part for auto audio.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...211_105224.jpg

If it wasnt for the fuse it would look stock.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...211_121249.jpg

Broke the thin bit of plastic that sits over the seat belt, and the part I am pressing on is a bit mushy. I couldnt get the clip to lock back in place.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...211_133248.jpg

I decided to mount the amp to the back of the smaller seat partition. I didnt want to directly drill into the seat as it can mess it up as you change amps and such. So I took an old panel from a computer and hammered it flat and screwed that to the seat. Now you can screw the amp to that without any issues.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...211_133257.jpg

I could have painted it black to make it look a bit better, but I only had matt black and it would scratch way too easy on metal so, stock beige back plate. I also put the AC cables in the wrong way. Sue me. The sub has velcro bits on it and it sticks to the carpet very well.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...212_115332.jpg

I couldnt find any short sub wire, so there is like another 1 meter of cable just pushed at the back of the boot. I wasn't going to cut it.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff...212_115341.jpg

Being that the head unit was basic, there wasnt much room for tuning in it. Luckily the amp wasn't too bad, but the sub had a bit of a problem. It was making a slight scratching noise at mid-peak movement. I pulled it apart and tested it. No noise when pushing on speaker, only when pushing on center cover. This has happened to other rampages I have had before, but only after they had been in 6 cars, 4 different owners and I abused the hell out of them. This one was quite new so I was disapointed.

I tuned it to 1db over its expected limit. Drove it around for a few days then came back and upped it another 6db. Just wasnt enough. Seems to be ok, cant hear the scratching from the inside the boot and I am getting plenty good bass.

Stock speakers are pretty sweet. I sort of wonder if they are not original.

First performance mod and man, was it a surprise.

From left to right or top to bottom (depending if you lean on a slant or are looking at this while on a hill):
    Stock EVO 1 diverter, Stock RB20DET diverter and the stock passat diverter.
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff/passat/3bov.JPG

I wanted to put the the evo one on, but it had zero chance of fitting to the stock hoses. Which is fine, as it turns out that the "audi" branded valvue is just a re branded bosch one, which is what the RB20 one is. They are pretty much the same except there is some sort of extra plate in the passat one. From what I can tell, it is designed to jam it open. And I am pretty sure that is what it did.

I swapped it over and the performance increase was extraordinary. I did not expect the response and power to increase as much as it did. I only wish I had the boost gauge on to compare values. This has been the cheapest and most beneficial mod I have ever given a car. Safer too, if you went down the "swap the orientation the stock bov" that most of the Europeans did to their car.

I changed it out mostly blind from under the car. Im a big guy with huge hands so I dont do well in tight conditions. It also had one of those one use hose clamps on and that made it harder, but it was fairly quick. After pulling it out and sticking my fingers everywhere I came across this:
    http://www.anmanindustries.com/stuff.../spiderbov.jpg

Joy.

Users Country Flag

Hi Joy (sorry, couldn't resist)

Good to get info from someone who has experience from other makes.

Keep the cheap tips coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast