Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW to KILL off Small Capacity Diesel

Users Country Flag

VW to KILL off Small Capacity Diesel

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/smal...ODFEJk5uZT0xNQ..

New-generation Polo’s 1.6-litre TDI to be VW’s last small diesel

Exploding costs will kill off all of Volkswagen’s small diesel engines within five or six years.

While it will retain the more versatile EA 288 2.0-litre TDI for the Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda sedans, hatches, coupes and SUVs, the smaller three- and four-cylinder will be gone completely in around five years, Dr Frank Welsch insisted.

It doesnt make much sense to continue them in the face of an accelerating EV market.

The larger capacity diesels have a longer future since the challenges for the EV market there are larger (range/payload etc).
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    It doesnt make much sense to continue them in the face of an accelerating EV market.

The larger capacity diesels have a longer future since the challenges for the EV market there are larger (range/payload etc).
    Yep!
    Horses 4 courses

The main loss is the diesel fuel discount in Europe.
    2015 Polo Comfortline 6M + Driving Comfort Package
    2011/11 Yeti 103 TDI 6M + Columbus media centre/satnav
    (2008 MY09 Polo 9N3 TDI retired hurt hail damage)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    IMO, the EV market won't take of any time soon and the EV as it is now will be a niche product.

Take for example BMWi3. At the cost of $85,000 on the road with the booster pack (petrol driven battery charger) and another box added to your house, you'll be able to charge your batteries in 8hours best, otherwise it's 14hour charge to give you idealistic 250km range. To charge your EV from the grid will cost you around $250 in electricity per month based on 1.6kW battery installed.
    The $40,000 diesel tiguan sounds like a massive savings and as a bonus you don't have to get killed on the road in the small EV in an accident or when your battery dies somewhere out there.

Should I buy a BMW i3? Is it suitable for country driving?

BMW i : Introduction

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    IMO, the EV market won't take of any time soon
    I'd seriously consider an EV, but it's just not cost effective for the average punter yet (and I'm a slightly different case to normal). For me it's a second vehicle for the daily commute. I don't need long range, but I'm still very paranoid about having a car that I can't simply up and decide to drive interstate. That and you get to pay full freight on insurance and rego so keeping another car for those longer trips doubles the cost (unless the EV is your second car).

Generally for most people range isn't an issue as we drive far (far) less than 250km / day. That also flows into charge times, if I'm only doing 50km I'm only topping it up rather than doing a full charge which cuts down charge times and costs. Adding in solar cells to the roof could also significantly decrease (or remove) the charging requirement for anyone who parks the car outside (like in the train car park for example).

As for $250 / month, how do you calculate that figure?

But yes, EV's are just too expensive for most people to jump into, you pay a pretty massive premium for a world of compromise. Give me a Polo sized EV for sub $20k and maybe we can talk. I'm sure it will come one day, not sure how soon though.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I used to do a round trip 100km commute 5 days a week (I dont work at the moment, so no need, but lets say I did...) something like a Tesla Model 3 would be perfect and I would seriously consider it...charging is no problem, every second night would be plenty... or charge it at work during the day aided by solar on the roof of the workplace (something many progressive businesses are doing).
    The problem with all EV's except tesla's has been that they have had batteries that are just too small. 50-100km range is a bit of a joke. But 300km is, to my mind, just fine for a day to day car, when you have a routine. Keep the Touareg for weekends away and the Model 3 for the dull drudgery of workaday business - sounds logical to me.
    I really like the idea of having a car that is so much simpler.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Volvo will cease production of the ICE by 2019

Volvo: Car manufacturer goes electric, ditches vehicles powered solely by internal combustion engine - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

It is going to be a problem when the European manufacturers start ramping up EV production for the markets that do not have a good recharging network or even people who live in an apartment or other shared living because they simply can't plug in if they do not have off street parking or for instance share an electricity bill with others. Personally I can't wait and wish I could afford a Tesla now, the driving interstate thing is going to present a problem about twice a decade for most people but towing could be an issue in this country. I read somewhere there are more charging points in the UK than conventional fuel bowsers. Anyone who does not think that the EV will not be a big thing is either delusional or has their head in the sand. China production of EV's is ramping up faster than anyone believed it could and Volvo being Chinese owned is obviously part of that.

This is an interesting video YouTube

As with everything, once the EV become cheap enough to manufacture the infrastructure will follow.

Looks like it's more than the 1.6l diesel that's going.

All the 2.0TDIs appear to be gone in MY19....

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast