Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Unveils Cleanest TDI Engine Ever - Jetta Clean TDI *BlueTec*

Users Country Flag

Post Volkswagen Unveils Cleanest TDI Engine Ever - Jetta Clean TDI *BlueTec*

BlueTec alliance launch in 2008

A VW Jetta TDI fulfils the most stringent worldwide exhaust gas thresholds with its nitrogen oxide post-treatment system developed by Volkswagen. The USA market launch within the BlueTec alliance is planned for 2008.

Volkswagen unveiled the cleanest ever TDI engine. First test drives demonstrate the high potential of Volkswagen technology, which consequently reduce nitrogen oxide. In the VW Jetta a new 2.0 litre Common Rail diesel engine with a nitrogen oxide reservoir catalytic converter was used, which complies to the Californian emission standard “Tier 2 / Bin 5”. These requirements are considered the most stringent worldwide. The first production run of the “Clean TDI” with nitrogen oxide post-treatment system will be made during 2008 in the USA.

The central theme of the entire concept is the reduction of nitrogen oxide. The engineers in Wolfsburg reached this goal through internal development of the motor and the use of new emission post-treatment technology. The result: up to 90% less nitrogen oxide emissions (NOx).

This drastic reduction was necessary in order to comply with the “Tier 2 / Bin 5” norm, which applies to California and four other states in the north-east of America (Massachusetts, New York, Vermont and Maine). This norm limits nitrogen oxide emissions to 70 mg per mile. In order to comply with this standard, completely new emission treatment technology was necessary. Volkswagen has thus developed two systems connected to the oxidation catalytic converter and the particle filter in the exhaust system.

New NOx reservoir catalytic converter technology is currently being tested for car models below the Passat class. Nitrogen oxide is absorbed like a sponge, leading to a high level of efficiency. As with the particle filter, the system is regularly cleaned without the driver noticing. To do this, the engine management system changes operation modes for a few seconds.

Larger and heavier models feature the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter. The central element is an aqueous solution such as AdBlue, which is transported in an additional tank made from stainless steel or plastic. 32.5% of this solution is comprised of urea, and is continuously injected into the exhaust system in front of the SCR catalytic converter using a metering valve. The dosage is made according to the gas emission stream.

The urea solution is finely atomised by a grille and is converted in hot exhaust gas into ammonia before it reaches the catalytic converter. The ammonia then reacts with the nitrogen oxide in the catalytic converter and separates it into nitrogen and water. Unlike pure ammonia, AdBlue solution is non-toxic, odourless and biodegradable. Volkswagen intends to install the additional tank so that the car can be driven without maintenance between two garage inspections - the garage simply refills the tank at the next scheduled inspection date. According to American regulations, the complete system must be fully functional for at least 150,000 miles.

BlueTec is a joint project of the German car manufacturers Volkswagen, Audi and DaimlerChrysler, intended to establish the diesel engine further in the American car market. The manufacturers are convinced that the diesel motor is the clean, low-consumption alternative for future car use, which is backed up by current economic and political condi*tions. Each of the manufacturers involved in the BlueTec joint project is working on individual technical solutions for stringent exhaust gas emission standards and plans to market these independently.

Volkswagen is definitely the diesel pioneer in the USA – more than 800,000 diesel cars from Volkswagen have already been sold there.
    Last edited by phaeton; 27-06-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

brackie Guest

Only one to go

OK...So now the diesel wins on fuel economy, torque, longetity, low maintenance and emissions. All we have to do now is get the price of diesel down at the pumps and diesel conquers the world (At least in the short term.)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brackie
    OK...So now the diesel wins on fuel economy, torque, longetity, low maintenance and emissions. All we have to do now is get the price of diesel down at the pumps and diesel conquers the world (At least in the short term.)
    i think they will win in the long term aswell just because they can run on biofuels without too many modifications.
    VW: it aint just a car, its a way of life
    There are few things more satisfying in life than finding a solution to a problem and implementing it
    My Blog: tinkererstales.blogspot.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by brackie
    I've been wondering how we can complain about pricing - it should be cheaper than ULP!
    Golf V TDI 2005 - SOLD
    Volvo C30 D5 - I've got a hat as well!
    Multivan Highline T5 TDI 4Motion 2005
    Hond Civic VTI 2001

Users Country Flag
    Had a few company hacks in my time that sounded like a badly tuned Tractor. Needless to say despite eyeing up prices of diesel Passat estates in the homeland should I find myself there in the not too distant I skimmed that looking for the power figures. I'm a lost cause really...

Jetta diesel estate would be good though

with the dust and flies in western Victoria
    I'd heard a bit about the BlueTec engines but mostly they were mentioned in the same breath as Mercedes-Benz. I didn't realise it was ajoint venture.

I have two questions....
    1) How much more will this BlueTec add to operational costs? (watch out for the first home brew!)
    2) How many owners who don't service there cars through the dealers will 'forget' to refill the BlueTec tank and what will be the result?

Which leads to my third and final question....

3) Is this the best option for 'improving' the enviro cred of diesel engines?

im of the opinion that a "before" treatment may be better than an after - so instead of using this bluetec system to treat the exhaust, why not use natural gas injection to burn cleaner and reduce the NOx, and get more mpg too? it would be more of a hassle though, because you'de be fuelling up on CNG/LPG and diesel...

the price of diesel is not too high - i mean, relative to ULP its too high, but we still have WAY too cheap fuel. I would gladly pay $2 or more for fuel if it meant less commodores and falcons and SUV's on the road.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

syncro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti
    the price of diesel is not too high - i mean, relative to ULP its too high, but we still have WAY too cheap fuel. I would gladly pay $2 or more for fuel if it meant less commodores and falcons and SUV's on the road.
    The problem with that is that it would reduce pollution, cut the road toll, reduce our overseas debt and improve public transport

Would not be very good at the polling booth thoughn:

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    I'd heard a bit about the BlueTec engines but mostly they were mentioned in the same breath as Mercedes-Benz. I didn't realise it was ajoint venture.

I have two questions....
    1) How much more will this BlueTec add to operational costs? (watch out for the first home brew!)
    2) How many owners who don't service there cars through the dealers will 'forget' to refill the BlueTec tank and what will be the result?

Which leads to my third and final question....

3) Is this the best option for 'improving' the enviro cred of diesel engines?

Old thread but relevant

1) BlueTec is the name of the intiative - all engines under BlueTec label must either have NOx Filters (Clean TDI in VW Speak) or Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) which uses the Urea Injection technology VW call this BlueTDI.

see here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...ead.php?t=6114

2) On BlueTDI SCR/Urea Tech - Thats what I was thinking but perhaps it needs to be filtered

3) Yes, I think before Synthetic Diesel or Biodiesel comes in.
    Last edited by phaeton; 27-06-2007 at 09:36 AM.
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    The problem with that is that it would reduce pollution, cut the road toll, reduce our overseas debt and improve public transport

Would not be very good at the polling booth thoughn:
    Hahaha We're so stupid.... "When is someone going to do something about the price of petrol?????" Says the guy with the toyota lexen.

fwd diesels are a sensible combo, they are lighter than rwd and have more efficient drivetrains than rwd (no bevel gear in the diff) and have more efficient motors.

Regarding NOx scrubbers, I think that there are enough fluid systems on a modern car that need regular inspection that to add another is not really a big deal. Currently there is:

Battery electrolyte
    Coolant
    Brake fluid x2
    Washer x2
    Engine Oil
    Transmission Oil
    Diff Oil (if auto)
    Suspension (if Citroen)
    Tyre pressure
    Fuel
    Eski
    and now,
    Urea tank

Anyway, urine is mostly urea so you could refill every day. You would be the envy of your friends with your fandangle car toilet.
    Beige 79 Mk1 GLD White 76 Mk1 LS 3 door
    White 68 Alfa 1750 Berlina Champagne 91 Alfa 75
    Red 09 9N3 Polo TDI White 2010 Skoda Octavia Combi TDI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast