Support VWWC

Thread: Trouble with 2009 2.0 TDI

Users Country Flag

Trouble with 2009 2.0 TDI

Can anyone offer some guidance please?

My daughter has a 2009 2.0 TDI manual, which I think makes it an early Mk6, and in the past we have had issue with the turbo diaphram. This was replaced about 18 months - 2 years ago and all was going well until recently when the turbo light on the dash started coming on again. This happened to coincide with a service so I asked them to check it out but there was no fault code registered?

Now we have an engine light, only yellow at this stage, and the turbo light on. Most of the time the turbo light can be reset by turning the car off waiting a couple of minutes and then staring again.

At the last service the tech said the EGR valve needed to be replaced and that if it wasnt done it could lead to reliabilty issues.

Is this likely to be the cause of problems? Car has 120K on it so should only be just run in.

What direction to go in?

Users Country Flag
    Hard to know without a scan of the car, anyone live down this blokes way with a Vag Com cable?

EGR's don't need to be replaced, they need to be cleaned. Put a can of 2730 Liquimoly DIESEL intake cleaner through the car, I did one Saturday morning with just this stuff, and it cleared an astonishing lot of gunk out. You can get it ordered in at Supercheap etc, and it isn't combustible like the petrol versions, DON'T put that thorough a diesel unless you like hearing it redline.

You need a Vag Com scan. If there's a light on the dash, chances are there's a corresponding record of why in the error logs.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

Are the EGR's easy to remove and clean?

Users Country Flag
    The intake cleaner will do it on the car.

These had issues with the intake flap too, where oil would seep past the seal on the butterfly shaft and get into the electric motor that operates it. No fix there, besides replacing it ASAP, as it can potentially damage the ECU.

You also may have an issue with the DPF pressure differential sensor, which is what the DPF light is all about. Get that one sorted ASAP too, as it can cause terminal damage to the DPF.

Users Country Flag
    You're right, it IS "just run in" .........sadly, this is the current world for diesel owners.
    If VW et al can't resolve this emissions control ancillaries reliability/maintenance/cost issue, it's 'goodnight nurse' for the light urban diesel as an economic proposition.
    Currently, it's a con.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Hard to know without a scan of the car, anyone live down this blokes way with a Vag Com cable?

EGR's don't need to be replaced, they need to be cleaned. Put a can of 2730 Liquimoly DIESEL intake cleaner through the car, I did one Saturday morning with just this stuff, and it cleared an astonishing lot of gunk out. You can get it ordered in at Supercheap etc, and it isn't combustible like the petrol versions, DON'T put that thorough a diesel unless you like hearing it redline.
    Like this?.
    LIQUI MOLY Pro-Line Intake System Cleaner Diesel (#516 - YouTube

Totally agree with Greg's advice there, get it scanned for fault codes and go from there.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Yep, "proline" is garage only, I have not been able to find it, but the above 2730 is the exact same stuff far as I can tell.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Yep, "proline" is garage only, I have not been able to find it, but the above 2730 is the exact same stuff far as I can tell.
    The concept of an engine 'runaway' is a frightening thought.

Can't happen on any new VW diesel due to the intake flap.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.