Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TDI 1.6L Injector Problems

TDI 1.6L Injector Problems

HI Guys,
    Have searched the stickies etc but cannot find a thread on the CR Piezo injectors for a 1.6L TDI 66KW, so if there is another thread regarding these injectors Please let me know,

Drove wifes polo about a month ago and had a heart attack when I found how rough and bad the engine it was running,
    We had previously a service a while back when I requested the car be checked as the engine sounded more Noisy and rougher than usual, the dealer said it was normal, so the wife thought ok thats how a diesel runs and sounds, I had not driven it myself since then thinking they told her it was ok,

When I drove it last it was terribly rough and stalled in an intersection (dangerous), but was the only car we had at the time as my other car was in for service, I said to wife this has a major problem and immediatly booked it in, (note the car had never once shown a fault light even after cutting out whilst driving and the revs going up and down like a yoyo)

Long story short Have been told by the dealer the injectors Need replacing as they are stuffed,

This 2010 polo has only done 55,000 km, although is past the 3 year warranty date, I believe this should not have happened at such an early stage in the cars K's,

Basically I'm trying to Get VW to cover this due to the low K's , they have only agreed to give a good will discount on the Injector parts only, But its still ridiculously expensive to fix on a 55,000k old car, (wife has no job atm also )

Bought this vehicle thinking it would be a quality car ok for 15-20 years or 200,000 ks, we've got 5years and 55000ks out of it and they want an arm and a leg to fix it, even after the discount its still to much, I'm actually quite disgusted that they think this is a normal thing due to it being over 3 years old, ( yeah injectors just wear out cos their older don't they, even if you do low k's)

I believe this issue became more prominent just after the final in warranty service at only 32000 km in which VW had used a NG (non Genuine) diesel additive for some reason? all other services prior had used an VW genuine additive (VW are the ones who tell us to use only genuine parts and fluids but don't themselves ), not sure if this is the cause or if its just faulty injectors from factory (more likely) after reading about all the other VW diesel injector issues around the world, it was the next service only 8000k's later at 40000ks that I told them the engine seemed more Noisy and rough,

Also had told them at each service that the fuel usage is much much higher than expected but nothing was noted down by them, From new couldn't even get the city milage claim in the country on long easy flat runs no matter how conservatively I drove it (makes me wonder if this was an indication that the injectors were no good from new)

Asked VW care to reassess our situation paying attention to the noise being noted on the service and they have said no further assistance will be granted, the good will claim team have rejected this claim as they say there is no evidence that the noise back then is related to the issue now, thing is the issue now sounds the same as when it was starting to get noisy and rough only 100 times worse and actually stalls now, ( these good will assessment's have taken nearly a month, our car has been at the dealer all this time!)

Has anyone else had problems with the 66kw or 1.6L tdi injectors? I have found other people around the world have, has anyone else? I know the 2L TDI had massive issues , do not know if the 1.6 injectors are are the same brand or not?

Any comments/suggestions welcome as we are really really disgusted with this, what car company says that 55,000 km is normal for such a major expensive failure?

Regards

Mad
    2010, POLO, COMFORTLINE, TDI, DSG, REFLEX SILVER
    2012 MY13 T5 Transporter LWB, 4motion, DSG, Retrofit Rear diff lock

Users Country Flag
    Some Mk5 Golf and Passat with the 2L TDI had an issue but late models incl. yours 1.6L CR Polo didn't. The fuel system failures can't always be blamed on manufacturers, since the quality of fuel you buy affects the reliability of the engine and the fuel system.
    I always recommend to use BP diesel.

Though, I'm not saying that you can't have a legit warranty claim and didn't have a problem within the warranty.

Sometimes, it pays to use independent workshops, especially if your dealer doesn't address your concerns.

Users Country Flag
    My 2010 Jetta 1.6 TDI had a failed injector about 6 months ago at around 185,000 ks .
    Required fitting of 4 new ones as the original ones -not now available (why?)- were incompatible to be mixed with the new ones .
    Expensive excercise

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    My 2010 Jetta 1.6 TDI had a failed injector about 6 months ago at around 185,000 ks .
    Required fitting of 4 new ones as the original ones -not now available (why?)- were incompatible to be mixed with the new ones .
    Expensive excercise
    The reason why they weren't available is because it's not a common fault.

central coast. Lake Macquarie. (Not Port Macquarie.)
    Be interesting to know what fuel manufacture you have been using as transporter says BP diesel does have a good following.

Users Country Flag
    Why should we diesel owners of any brand have to drive around with our fingers crossed all the time?.
    The much vaunted 'economy' advantage just doesn't stand up to scrutiny for the non-mechanically minded and capable owner, when all the emissions control equipment and their trouble free lifespan are taken into account.
    They aren't trouble free
    Their lifespan is too short
    For the premium price paid

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Some Mk5 Golf and Passat with the 2L TDI had an issue but late models incl. yours 1.6L CR Polo didn't. The fuel system failures can't always be blamed on manufacturers, since the quality of fuel you buy affects the reliability of the engine and the fuel system.
    I always recommend to use BP diesel.

Though, I'm not saying that you can't have a legit warranty claim and didn't have a problem within the warranty.

Sometimes, it pays to use independent workshops, especially if your dealer doesn't address your concerns.
    Thanks for the replys guys,

Guess what? we have only ever used BP fuel since new nothing else, made sure the wife always went to BP near our house, the only odd fluid that has entered our vehicle was the non genuine diesel additive that VW service put in it

55,000 ks is just ridiculous though, they wanted over $5000 at first , really had enough at this point, how much is the engine if the injectors cost 5000? Must be more than the car!

If the injectors have to be changed as a set of 4 then they must be a revised edition, which would hint they've had problems with them,

Really seriously considering selling both of our VW 's at this point, don't want anything to do anymore with the deceit that we've had with VW over the years, sales lies, DSG safety , warrantee issues , recall , recall, recall, campaign , campaign, diesel gate , fuel claims, ridiculously expensive capped servicing, injectors , etc

These expensive euro cars , issue after issue after issue , seriously where is the quality ?

You can buy a Kia with a 7 year warranty now!

My cheap old commodore has done over 500,000 ks no major problems!

As you can see very frustrated at this point , and quite ashamed to be a VW owner,

Signing off before I get too annoyed,

Regards

Mad
    2010, POLO, COMFORTLINE, TDI, DSG, REFLEX SILVER
    2012 MY13 T5 Transporter LWB, 4motion, DSG, Retrofit Rear diff lock

Users Country Flag
    You'd think VW would be so embarrassed they'd fall over themselves fixing it as quickly (and quietly) as possible.
    Yeah, right!
    Imagine a Japanese or Korean vehicle owner being treated in such a dismissive way.
    Get your satisfaction via the media.......it's the only thing VW responds to, these days.

Users Country Flag
    Neil
    Been using mostly Caltex Vortex ; BP Ultimate hasn't been available in my Qld town till just this year .
    BP Ultimate whenever I can see it when away and the occasional Shell when I can't get Caltex V or PB U (for the life of the car).

Users Country Flag

Has VW ever endorsed a brand of fuel in order to get any long term reliability?.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast