Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TDI 1.6L Injector Problems

Users Country Flag

How did you go with this?

I'm having the same issue with my TDI Polo 2011 model. The car sometimes shutters, losses power and may stall. VW have told me the injectors need replacing, and want to charge $4000. This only happens sometimes, I would have thought that if the injectors were the issue that the car would run badly all the time.

I'm wondering if the problem is actually the DSG gear box.
    Last edited by dinoaus; 21-03-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    2021 Polo GTI | Limestone Grey Metallic | Driver assistance package | Luxury package | Sound & Vision package

Users Country Flag
    ....and for $4500 they'll throw in a long motor I suppose........sheeesh!

Quote Originally Posted by dinoaus View Post
    How did you go with this?

I'm having the same issue with my TDI Polo 2011 model. The car sometimes shutters, losses power and may stall. VW have told me the injectors need replacing, and want to charge $4000. This only happens sometimes, I would have thought that if the injectors were the issue that the car would run badly all the time.

I'm wondering if the problem is actually the DSG gear box.
    Gday there,

Basically No one at VW Gives A F%&K!, ours had only done low k's,
    Dealer tried to give discount but was stuff all, so called Vw Customer care and after literally 1 month of back and forth (i was not letting them off lightly) they ended up agreeing to 30% off parts as a good will gesture, I did some more study, and if they were to do the work I demanded that i get the old injectors back, they denied i had the right to the old injectors as it was being covered under warranty, I said its a good will gesture not warranty, they said 'same thing' , I said your only paying 30% discount on the new parts so you do not own the old parts ( i own the parts they came with my VW that i paid for and if i want them to test them they are mine not there's! (they just want them to hide the evidence of a possible recall requirement !)) , I kept researching as I'd had enough of the B.S. they kept spinning, seriously NO ONE! NO ONE at VW Gives a F^&K about the customer i spoke to about 15 of them not one GAF,
    I asked them for a final quote with the discounts added (was still to high) but what i found was that the Injectors had just been superseded from O3L 130 277B to O3L 130 277S, I asked why and they would not say ( obviously the old ones have problems as we all know, they are just not telling anyone!!!!! ) and stated to them if they've been superseded then it should be under 100% warranty, they would not come to the party, so basically told them where to go!!! got my car back as it was with the intermittent problem same as yours and found the parts at "Cheaper diesel spares Australia" for $1800 delivered (note: are siemens part no. but same injectors) and had them installed by an ex VW trained mechanic near us for about $240 , it fixed the issue and actually gave us the best fuel economy that id ever seen in the car, the actual factory claimed economy, I had been complaining we could never get anywhere near to that economy no matter how feather foot i was before, we were getting about double originally, this showed me the injectors had an issue in this vehicle from day 1 but didn't show up as a major issue till later on,

I would suggest putting in an expensive injector cleaner such as liquid moly and see how it goes for a while, and if its no good goto cheaper diesel spares aus, and buy the injectors there and get them installed by an independent MECH that knows VW really well,

I own 2 VW's and am quite ashamed of it now, they are a discussing company that has an inherently evil culture of treating the customer as CR&P, they try everything to pass fault onto customers and take liability away from them, Look up Auto expert on Youtube and see his Accurate descriptions of VW especially relating to the diesel gate scandal and older DSG death issues,

these injectors should have been recalled for safety reasons due to the fact they can stall the vehicle at anytime and cause a very unsafe situation, but until people Die it will not happen!

Hope this helps

u can see why my name is MAD
    ( struggle to find the happiness with VW)

Cya

PS: Cheaper diesels spares Australia say they sell tonnes of this injector ( the VW siemens O3L 130 277B and S) he said the bosch ones are much better in other VW engines and don't have anywhere near the issues of the siemens ones (yes siemens CR are as bad as Siemens PD)
    Last edited by MAD; 26-03-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    2010, POLO, COMFORTLINE, TDI, DSG, REFLEX SILVER
    2012 MY13 T5 Transporter LWB, 4motion, DSG, Retrofit Rear diff lock

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Mad, Will give the cleaner a try, and if it doesn't work will look at Cheaper Diesel Spares. They have the injectors for $1900 for 4. Which is better then $3600 that VW wants to charge.

When I'm ready to get the injectors, might take my car for them to test to make sure the injectors need replacing. They test for free if you purchase the injectors from them.
    Last edited by dinoaus; 27-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    2021 Polo GTI | Limestone Grey Metallic | Driver assistance package | Luxury package | Sound & Vision package

Good info thanks MAD.

Its really horrible that VW are like this nowadays. I think I'm going to stick with all the models that were pre "we want to be the biggest manufacturer in the world" days.

When I first bought my 08 allroad, and the honeymoon period wore off, I realised its a much lower quality vehicle overall than the old model C5 one. And the more I scrutinise VAG products, the more I realise that up until the 2000's they were building the cars I fell in love with, and I fell in love with those cars because they were awesome, and because the company had credibility.

But then they got greedy, and since then theres been a massive compromise lurking somewhere, in every car. Its sad.

I still love VAG cars, especially the older ones.... but I cant love what they've become. Its like Luke went to the darkside and didnt come back.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

I agree with some of that gldgti although my Mk5 is better built than my Mk2 GTI was. There was a thread 1-2 years ago on the T4 Forum where some said that the T4 was the last of the over engineered VWs. While they have a couple of items that can fail they are generally trouble free & long lasting.
    My opinion of some of the later cars is to stay in the front of the pack in technology, they have rushed into production instead of thorough long term testing. Basically the new owner is doing the testing. I also understand how competitive the market is & VW is expected to compete on price with lesser vehicles from cheaper manufacturing countries.
    Last edited by jets; 30-03-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

jets, I think the the mk5 is a GREAT car. The mk5 is the car that really made VW, in VW's new age. They spent a lot of money on developing the mk5 to give them the slingshot they needed.... but I think it started going the way you describe after that.
    And TBH, the mk2 I fell was a bit unlucky in that it landed the changover duty from the tried and true chrome and steel methodology of the 50's-70's into the body coloured bumpers of the 90's, and all of the interior and exterior trim parts, in their many revisions, suffered. The mk2 is awesome underneath, though, as evidenced by the fact that nothing much changed from the mk2 to the mk4 in terms of suspension/driveline.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    I agree with you gldgti, in my opinion the Mk5 is the pinnacle of VW engineering excellence, just the little touches like the red light in the centre roof console that illuminates the centre console area in the dark, the strong 2.0L TDI pump-duse engine that with a little bit of tweaking really shines. My Mk3 CL is the pinnacle of VW engineering reliability, it is the final evolution of the simple, reliable and over-engineered design that started with the Mk1 evolved through Mk2 and ended with the Mk3 CL. My Mk3 Vento GL is the start of the pursuit of the new age VW with the mod-cons plus bells and whistles which took a big step forward with the Mk4 and culminated with the Mk5. However the Mk3 GL it is not a reliable as the CL - yes I am staring at you electric window regulators that are designed to fail.

The Mk6 is a really a Mk5.5 - a Mk5 with a prettier butt. However, many changes to the design were made to make it much less complex to manufacture (told to me by a VW dealer principal at the time at a social BBQ) which is code for the bean-counters and executive screamed that the Mk5 was too costly to produce and squeezed the engineers to get a simpler designed Mk6 which was more profitable to produce.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by feenix74 View Post
    designed to fail.

The Mk6 is a really a Mk5.5 - a Mk5 with a prettier butt. However, many changes to the design were made to make it much less complex to manufacture (told to me by a VW dealer principal at the time at a social BBQ) which is code for the bean-counters and executive screamed that the Mk5 was too costly to produce and squeezed the engineers to get a simpler designed Mk6 which was more profitable to produce.
    I agree, the Mk6 has a prettier butt.
    I remember a figure of 45 hours to build the Mk5 while the Mitsubishi 380 was around 19 hrs. I always thought the detachable door skins would cost assembly time compared with the traditional way, but having never looked at a Mk6 close enough, I have no idea what else VW did to save production costs.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    I remember a figure of 45 hours to build the Mk5 while the Mitsubishi 380 was around 19 hrs.
    My father in law owned one of those junk heaps. 19 hours figures. You could see the phillips head screws holding the interior door panels together while you sat there in pain on the 'made out of a council pickup lounge' seats.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast