Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T4 Diesel timing belt kit

Users Country Flag

T4 Diesel timing belt kit

Does this kit include new idler and tensioner pulleys? For $360 I think it should. Jim

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vk2mad View Post
    Does this kit include new idler and tensioner pulleys? For $360 I think it should. Jim
    Who are you buying it from ?

Maybe ask them if it has everything?

Users Country Flag
    Agreed. Check, and are you doing both belts?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I had a service including a new t belt and injector pump belt. three weeks later the motor stopped. It has no compression on all cylinders. I am hoping it is something that the service provider did wrong as I suspect bent and smashed everything. the motor spins over so not seized.

Sorry mate, it sounds like your mechanic has really ****ed it up for you there. I would agree with your diagnosis.

Make sure your actions are above reproach and hopefully you'll get a good result (shame about the headache though).

Out of interest - I assume this is a 2.5 TDI?
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Yes. 2.5 diesel auto. I am fortunate it did not go out the back of Qld. Went a Mooloolaba, nice spot to break down

I read somewhere on this forum about different types of diesel engines in relation to timing belt failures , on some models timing belt failure will not put pistons into valves as they are described as non interference engines . Others well bye bye engine .

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    I read somewhere on this forum about different types of diesel engines in relation to timing belt failures , on some models timing belt failure will not put pistons into valves as they are described as non interference engine .
    To my knowledge all the diesels are interference engines. Some of the petrol engines may not be, but a guy on the Vortex forum with the 2.5 petrol engine ['93 from memory] had a pile up with his. He was able to reclaim his engine as there was only minor damage to some valves. On the diesels even the camshaft can break as well as valves, lifters etc.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

I should have some idea by Thursday next week. Car still on Qld waiting transport. Should be home on Tuesday.

All the diesels are interference engines. The high compression ratio in a diesel means that there is almost no clearance at all between the piston crown and the surface of the head. On TDI's especially, as the combustion chamber is a pocket in the piston crown (which is not wide enough or placed for valves to poke into)
    Last edited by gldgti; 05-08-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast