Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting issue. 2012 Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Brake lights don't get full battery voltage anyway, as they're illuminated via a PWM signal. i.e. the BCM only sends enough voltage to sufficiently illuminate them.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Brake lights don't get full battery voltage anyway, as they're illuminated via a PWM signal. i.e. the BCM only sends enough voltage to sufficiently illuminate them.
    Interesting, thanks
    I'm so protective of the battery in the latest vehicles I don't even have interior lights in the 'armed' mode.
    My 308's radio won't go long without the engine running either.
    It seems to me the under bonnet space needs to prioritise a larger battery (higher capacity) these days.......or go the expensive BMW route.

Users Country Flag
    Starter motor won't engage until the control unit tells it that the glow plugs have reached temp. Takes longer the colder the vehicle is.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    Starter motor won't engage until the control unit tells it that the glow plugs have reached temp. Takes longer the colder the vehicle is.
    I have re read my post and can see the confusion.

If I leave the ignition on without starting the car for 5-10 seconds to allow the glow plugs to reach working temps, the the engine starts first time without fuss. If try to start the car immediately, then there is a pause in the starting sequence.

My bad. I hope that this clear as mud.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam View Post
    I have re read my post and can see the confusion.

If I leave the ignition on without starting the car for 5-10 seconds to allow the glow plugs to reach working temps, the the engine starts first time without fuss. If try to start the car immediately, then there is a pause in the starting sequence.

My bad. I hope that this clear as mud.
    You have answered your own question about what to do then Havent you.

Always has been wait for the glowplug light to go out before hitting the button. Even on my 1963 Farmall tractor.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You have answered your own question about what to do then Havent you.

Always has been wait for the glowplug light to go out before hitting the button. Even on my 1963 Farmall tractor.
    The older diesels were more dependent on the glow plugs than a new CR diesels, and can start very fast in summer. But when the temperature gets closer to 0 deg. C, it's better to wait for the glow plugs light to go off.

Any diesel from 1963 would struggle to start without the glow plugs working 100% at any temperature and would not start at sub zero without them.
    Last edited by Transporter; 23-06-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12