Support VWWC

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Poyta's GT

Quote Originally Posted by lhennessy View Post
    Well I'm around the same height if not lower, on 18x8.5 et35 so a lot more aggressive and I get big rubbing on fast cornering and bumps.
    JESUS!!! Thats like an extra 23mm more sticking out more than mine, no wonder you have big rubbing. How the hell can you even turn the wheels? That's almost like the equivalent of having 275mm wide tyres!! When I had mine sitting an extra 5mm lower than it is now I couldn't turn the wheels more than 45 degrees before the tyre hit the guard so I have no idea how you are running so low and with such an aggressive offset.
    2007 Black Magic VW Golf GT TDi, Latte Leather, Sunroof, Bluefin Superchip, 18" Detroits, APR lower torque arm insert, APR Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake system, GTi sideskirts & front lip, R32 Rear Bar, GTi Steering wheel, RNS-510,Infinity BassLink Subwoofer,stubby antenna, R8 Oil Cap, Golf R front calipers, slotted front rotors, ceramic brake pads, LITEC LED tail-lights, Dension Gateway Five, Rear Emblem Reverse Camera, H&R Ultralow coil-overs, Badge-less front grille

Users Country Flag
    Well coming into my driveway I can hear the tyres rubbing if I have the radio off, and my passenger side guard is damaged as a result (soon the be fixed)

The think is that with the extra width of the wheel the tyre stretches a little bit so it's curled into the guards. But yes it makes things difficult.

But once you get used to how to interpret minor changes in the road that have a much more extreme effect you get used to it.
    Hennessy Auto Styling MK5 TDI [SIZE=3]|| United Grey || Sunroof & Leather || 18x8.5 +45 Rotiform BLQ and 17x8 17x9 +39 Stern Reverse Face II || K Sport Deluxe Air Suspension || After Market OEM Style Body Kit and Accessories!
    Hennessy Auto Styling - Bumpers, Spoilers, Carbon, Lips and more.

Users Country Flag
    also im not usually a fan of badgeless dubs, but this actually looks really good, congrats
    Hennessy Auto Styling MK5 TDI [SIZE=3]|| United Grey || Sunroof & Leather || 18x8.5 +45 Rotiform BLQ and 17x8 17x9 +39 Stern Reverse Face II || K Sport Deluxe Air Suspension || After Market OEM Style Body Kit and Accessories!
    Hennessy Auto Styling - Bumpers, Spoilers, Carbon, Lips and more.

Users Country Flag

18x8 +30 and no rubbing, why? Because it was setup properly to run low on sorta wide/low offsets
    It can be done if you do it properly but usually vw people don't want to even go near anything below +40 offset lol

Quote Originally Posted by mk5_tdi View Post

18x8 +30 and no rubbing, why? Because it was setup properly to run low on sorta wide/low offsets
    It can be done if you do it properly but usually vw people don't want to even go near anything below +40 offset lol
    Thats a great pic.... but what do you mean properly? You can't say "look it can be done, so there" without begging the explanation.

"Set up properly" tells us nothing useful at all.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Without too much hate as I know a lot of people hated that I ran 'apparently to small of tyres'
    Rolled rear guards, ran 205/40 Proxes 4 on 8" (tbh not much stretch at all) and the lows give the camber
    I was going to even wider 9 +35 with a 215 on the rear but I sold the car before the wheels came in

Didn't really have much camber because of the roll though, tyres were fine, had heaps of grip and the car actually drove really nice despite being 35 or 40mm off the ground and the lowest point, but a lot of people wouldn't call it practical so wouldn't even try going low

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Thats a great pic.... but what do you mean properly? You can't say "look it can be done, so there" without begging the explanation.

"Set up properly" tells us nothing useful at all.
    Exactly - please explain - plus no rubbing means what ? no rubbing when its parked ? no rubbing when its driving straight? From the looks of that photo you have maybe a 1mm gap between the tyre and the guard in the parking lot? Would love to see if you have no rubbing when you have your wheels turned like that and you hit a dip.
    2007 Black Magic VW Golf GT TDi, Latte Leather, Sunroof, Bluefin Superchip, 18" Detroits, APR lower torque arm insert, APR Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake system, GTi sideskirts & front lip, R32 Rear Bar, GTi Steering wheel, RNS-510,Infinity BassLink Subwoofer,stubby antenna, R8 Oil Cap, Golf R front calipers, slotted front rotors, ceramic brake pads, LITEC LED tail-lights, Dension Gateway Five, Rear Emblem Reverse Camera, H&R Ultralow coil-overs, Badge-less front grille

Users Country Flag
    no rubbing, guards were rolled and tyres were small, but not illegal, 205 on a 8 is fine
    Also JOM coils, so when down that low get stiffer which helps with the suspension travel
    8 +30 is not massively aggressive for a mk5, pretty much spot on tbh

It isn't illegal to fit a 205/40 R18 86W XL tyre on a 8.0 J x 18 wheel (or indeed, any wheel), nor is it illegal to fit such a tyre/wheel assembly on a Golf (or indeed, any vehicle).

However, if the vehicle was registered to be driven on public roads, that changes things.

The tyre's load index (86) and load capacity (530 kg) was less than that of the original tyre (91 and 615 kg respectively), so from a regulatory perspective, the vehicle would have been considered unroadworthy.

There was nothing wrong with fitting a 205/40 R18 tyre on a 8.0 J x 18 wheel from a roadworthiness perspective.

Perhaps more seriously, the front tyres were not capable of supporting the vehicle's gross front axle load rating, which would be considered a major safety defect.

If it wasn't rectified, it could present some serious issues for the subsequent owner in terms of vehicle safety and roadworthiness.

Take care when modifying.

Quote Originally Posted by mk5_tdi View Post
    no rubbing, guards were rolled and tyres were small, but not illegal, 205 on a 8 is fine
    Also JOM coils, so when down that low get stiffer which helps with the suspension travel
    8 +30 is not massively aggressive for a mk5, pretty much spot on tbh
    If you're running 205's then yeah the stretch and natural roll of the tyres would mean that you would be poking out near the guard similar to my setup with 225's and a less aggressive offset - combine that with your rolled guards and stiff suspension and I'm not surprised you're not really getting any rubbing but as pointed out you're really running an illegal setup due to the load rating - combined with a super stiff suspension setting and reduced traction due to the lesser tyre width and I'd hardly say this is "setup properly".

The H&R ultralow's don't really go super stiff at my height as they are designed to go heaps lower so I still have lots of suspension travel and I want to stick to 225's so I can have a legal load rating. Like I said I have still not rolled my guards - pretty sure when I do I'll be rub free too.
    Last edited by poyta; 21-03-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast