Support VWWC

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The mk3 1.9L TD power-quest

check back to my 2 previous posts for updated info btw - some useful links there for people to look at.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Updates bro? Ive just bought myself a diesel likes urs and seeking inspiration

hmm well i suppose i should update for new IC. not a lot of room to work with at all considering the HUGE a/c core, and the bumper support panel,
    so it became necessary to cut up the bumper support panel instead,
    taking out most of the support panel in between the foglight positions and the leave the top 'u' channel shape for building on to. then i added some support for the IC and reinforcing for the support panel to stiffen it up, since i just chopped a hunk out of it. reinforcing is 50x3mm flat bar stitch welded along the back (radiator) side and supported in the middle at the front with the leftover tab from before. look here for details:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newf...ad.php?t=24787

the idea was to basically cut out as much bumper support as i needed, then make it nice and strong again so that it was still stiff from the frontal impact perspective. remember that aluminium is a very stiff metal and adding the intercooler, as long as it is relatively well supported (i.e. properly attached to the bumper support) means that the IC itself will act as a bumper support in an accident.

i put the hoses wherever they would fit really, which is through the holes where the stock fog-lights project backwards through the radiator support. i left the standard intake configuration for now, so that if i happen to have a problem on the road i can swap on the old intake hose with no trouble.

here's what it looks like from the outside. the front view makes it look like it'll get no airflow, but i can assure you that from the last 3 weeks of driving its working VERY well indeed. i have seen an across the board 10% improvement in fuel economy, and last week recorded my best ever range from a tank figure of 922.5km, on 100% biodiesel. the l/100km figure of 5.72 doesn't do it justice, as i filled it to brimming after that long tank, whereas the time before i just filled it to the first click... so in fact it must have been better.

torque is up on before from 2000-3500rpm, i think that the little k-14 is really the limiting factor now, and i STILL havn't got myself into gear to rebuild the T3... but i will, i promise! i've been waiting to some extent because i really needed to do some maintenance and repair work on the car, such as a new alternator /ac bracket and tensioner, and i needed to get the air con fixed too (a BIG investment!).

now thats past i'm happy to be getting on with other things.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

time for a little update.

well, over the weekend i went on holidays and achieved my best consumption so far of 5.2l/100km, of 100% biodiesel on my 15yo diesel. (from a whole tank)... so given i'm now topping 23psi! and and the car is running well, i guess i'm doing somethign right!

i had an issue with my intercooler pipes that run down infron of the accessory belt rubbing through a silicone 90- bend i have there (oops) and so have adjusted the piping so that it cant ever happen again.

i've also tuned the fuelling just a little more, adding a bit more across the rev range so as to up the boost and get me some more horsepower. i've realised that i need to get it nice and hot first, before i go testing out if i'm smoking or not, because at anything less than 15minutes of proper driving, its just not hot enough.

sighting this, new injector tips are on the board - i'll be upsizing and hoping to get a bit more hp out of her, perhaps a smoke reduction too.

the other day, some guy in a mk5 gti gave me a run at the lights (rolling start and we didnt speed) and i kept up - so i'm gonna chalk that up as a testament to old diesels tunability - if i can keep up with a mk5 gti, i reckon i'm doing well.

finally sorted my clutch problems, and no more slippage, which is nice - but further, i've been into the engine to check out the main bearings and am happy to report that despite my driving and the amount of boost i'm running through her, the crank bearings show little sign of wear, even for 200,000km. definately the original bearings too. so all good things to report.

i'm toying with swapping out hte intercooler for a larger one (just because i can) and i have a little plan up my sleeve for a couple more suspension mods - stay tuned
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

woo!

glad to hear it's all still working, and quite well at that!

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

Users Country Flag
    Bet the guy in the GTI was suprised, nice work mate! Give those gassers hell!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Sounds good dude. Aslong as you keep good oil in the engine and keep changing it at regular intervals i'd expect that the engine would be showing little signs of wear.

Looks like i better organise a BBQ one weekend when i'm free and you guys are too so i can sample the new improved HP..

APR Tuned | KW Suspension | INA Engineering | Mocal Oil Control |
    Email: chris@tprengineering.com

Quote Originally Posted by Preen59 View Post
    Sounds good dude. Aslong as you keep good oil in the engine and keep changing it at regular intervals i'd expect that the engine would be showing little signs of wear.

Looks like i better organise a BBQ one weekend when i'm free and you guys are too so i can sample the new improved HP..
    wooo! VWW GTG at aydans house!

it seems to happen more and more... mollins and i are always playing golf together, but i've had Mickey with his vr and preeny... i guess any house with 2 mk1's out the front and 2 golfs in hte car port is going to be a bit of a nuthouse
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Update

so i fitted a larger intercooler today.... basically just a deeper vesion of the one i had.... and extra 2.5" on the bottom. its a lot more obvious that theres and intercooler there now, but i dont care. im after power and efficiency, and i get enough people trying to race me anyway, i don;t think it'll make much difference to that.

i havnt really noticed any more lag... but i'm hopeful that the extra bit of direct airflow that it now gets will aid in keeping it cooler than before (even though it was working great).

pic (sorry it was dark.... my crappy old camera did little...)

also thought i'd share with you fellow sooties my new rear windscreen livery:
    Last edited by gldgti; 03-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Loved looking at your engine bay at Nats

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast