Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Let the Tinkering get Abominable.

Hey greg good to see ya swinging spanners.

why are you bothering to put another muffler in place of the rear box at all? I honestly don't think it'll make any difference.

the only difference i could notcie on my golf without the rear box was more choo choo.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    ...because the DPF is set to change dramatically mate. I doubt the sports DPF idea will ever become a saleable / EPA approved device, but on my own car, well it's back to the old ways. I'm also planning a much better flowing manifold and turbo, it will absolutely be louder.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    I'm also planning a much better flowing manifold and turbo, it will absolutely be louder.
    Can confirm, the factory manifold/turbo is where *all* the sound deadening is, at least on the CEGA.
    My car is *very* loud at high RPM when the vanes are open - can finally say "at full noise" and mean it!
    Very interested to see/hear the Yeti when all of this is up and running.

EDIT: Should have mentioned I have a Darkside kit and GTB2260VK
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Cool, be interested to hear how the lag is compared to stock, I'm sure it hammers mid to top, but getting off the lights is what worries me, don't want to do the loser flyby. You are lucky you started with the better 170 head.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Mysticality's ride is not laggy at all. Its quite impressive.

it is however 'teenager in a gemini' loud.

But his exhaust system has been pretty much engineered to be loud. the twin 3" straight pipe pretty much amplifies the noise I reckon.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Yeah I've no interest in that hollow straight pipe sound all the jacked up 4x4's often have. I will have a NOX cat and probably 2 x partial flow DPF's, plus my Flowmaster and all the factory bends at the back, so it should be OK, and I'm sticking to 2.25" factory plumbing in the cat back.

Good to know the big GTB still spools OK, the max boost at 2600 worried me, don't want to go back to the feel my old Starion had. Nothing, nothing, nothing, WHAMMO, done.
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 25-10-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Had a spare arvo, so took the plunge and chopped up my cat back. Of course I ran out of Argon, so it wasn't pretty, but it came up OK. A short test drive and it seems like the typical pancake delete in a DPF car, minor deeper tone, but I'm happy it's now a bit better flowing for future mods. Big size difference in mufflers! I know it's a poor twin tip setup, but I didn't really have space for a Y, and I'm probably going to go single oval type tip anyhow, just to be different.

'98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    Mysticality's ride is not laggy at all. Its quite impressive.
    Its still a VGT, and as such when the vanes are closed it spools right up; that being said, the power rush that used to come at 1,400 now comes at 1,500... Is that a big deal? Not if you're quietly cruising.

it is however 'teenager in a gemini' loud.
    Only when the vanes are open.

But his exhaust system has been pretty much engineered to be loud. the twin 3" straight pipe pretty much amplifies the noise I reckon.
    I was trying to get as much noise out of it as possible; but as I said above, not even a DPF delete will make it sound like anything. All the noise you'll get is induction noise, unless you bin the factory mani/turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    Good to know the big GTB still spools OK, the max boost at 2600 worried me, don't want to go back to the feel my old Starion had. Nothing, nothing, nothing, WHAMMO, done.
    Darkside Developments has a Mk2 Octavia project car with the GTB2260VK on it; they've got a dyno sheet available on the website.
    I compared that with one of my own dyno sheets and the power is 1:1 until about 2k or so - where the 2260 just takes off and the 1756 just kind of flat lines.

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-octavia-271bhp-420ftlbs-jpg
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Great info, thanks mate. The Darkside kit isn't cheap ( quality parts never are ), so it's good to know the real world result.

I have a DSG cooler on the way, then it;s saving up for an intercooler next.

I do wonder how my DSG will hold up to that sort of torque curve though!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast