Support VWWC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let the Tinkering get Abominable.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Oh wow thanks in hindsight Gav, only just saw this, all good, no big rush.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

OK into it, don't want to mess with the dash too much, but want some extra gauges.

Bingo! Pop up gauges! Stay tuned....

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0822_zps892883cf-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0826_zps0479ddfd-jpg
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 11-01-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Decided to make a compound Provent 200 this time around, and it came together nicely. The pictures tell the tale, I decided to use copper elbows as they have a nice curve, and did my best to keep the top of engine looking as minimal and black as possible, so you have to look to realise the PCV system has been modified. Time shall tell how well it works, but I did this in an arvo.

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0023_zpsh56je5wn-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0025_zpshk5ijqg5-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0026_zpsuyapllru-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0027_zps6cpjk9xc-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-cbbf54a9-e543-4359-befc-9ba3decee44a_zpsux2da2ej-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0031_zpsqnneqgal-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-img_0033_zpszuaaiomx-jpg

Let the Tinkering get Abominable.-28f888c0-2de1-482b-b2cc-af9787fd5abc_zpszu4cw8z3-jpg

While I was into the PCV system, I dropped the 25mm EGR pipe down to 13mm with a suitable washer, and so far no error codes. I'll have to Vag Com it after a week and make sure it hasn't put the DPF regens onto MIL which is a set km cycle over proper measuring, which you need EGR, at least to some degree to do properly.

OK a long overdue update.

First to go was the stock Yeti front rotors, smaller than the GTI in a heavier car. In stock form the car would stop OK, but it never gave that sharp VW feel that the thing can really halt if need be. With the GTI rotors up front, it's a lot better, not aggressive, but there's a good stop in it now. Add to that the red calipers spice it up nicely, painted the GTI sized stock rears to match. Happy with that mod.

nice - glad to see your still tinkering!
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    nice - glad to see your still tinkering!
    Always mate. My girl bought herself a NA Veloster, and well it needs help. Looks great, granny quiet, and bloody gutless. Has been my project recently at her request - happy days. I now need your exhaust welding skills.

Green Machine NA build thread
    Last edited by Greg Roles; 08-12-2015 at 09:15 PM.

As per usual I have the slowest thread updates ever, running your own business sure eats up spare time!

Good problems though.

Anyway I decided to pull the inlet on the Yeti, both to see how dirty it was at 50 thou, and just to see how it has changed from the MKV. You sure have to remove more plumbing etc to get it off, but it's not a big job.

Big things I noticed:

Better flow design of EGR valve, no big inner reduction, about the same size.

Plastic EGR flap!!

Black inlet manifold has boost enter from below and then do a 180 and go down into head runners. Very different to the MKV with typical side ports. Odd change, but I guess there is reason to it.

No swirl / tumble flaps, at least in manifold.

All standard ring compression clamps as opposed to the MKV "C" clip / clamps which used to leak.

Provents have collected minimal oil, but first filter has had it, typical for the kms.

Inlet soot buildup was pretty minor.

Apart from the odd about face at the top of the manifold to go back down into the engine, it is a much better design. A Provent is still a very recommended idea, and at 50 thou my DPF is showing a quarter of the way through it's oil ash lifespan. Will it reach 200 thou, who knows, but then mine will be sitting on the shelf pretty soon, while I try out the sports DPF options. THAT is currently on hold till I see what VW do about the dieselgate situation, and what software changes they make, I want to measure them on a standard system.

Last edited by Greg Roles; 03-03-2016 at 10:45 AM.

nice one Greg!

Tell me more about the sport DPF. Where did you see the % life of the DPF - Our 125kw Octi now has 82k, assuming the DPF won't last long.

Also, I see you went Provent over 42DD - whats you take on the comparisons? I need to fit a can ASAP...
    Last edited by harlie; 08-03-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    Octavia vRS TDi DSG MY10 - RD Technik tuned
    Polo 9N3 1.9TDi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast