Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jetta 2009 TDi - Glow plug + Exaust Lights

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dinot81 View Post
    Do you mean water or oil operating temp??? With diesels, oil will take longer than that. I live in Sydney and on winter nights after driving for about 17kms, oil temp sits just under 90 degrees (operating temp for mine is 97-9. I remember in my manual that if the car is used for short trips, it will require longer drives especially to regenerate the dpf. Also, my instructions say should the dpf light come up, it needs to be driven at least 70kph constantly to be able to regenerate itself. I personally don't agree with thrashing a car or driving it hard. I take mine on regular motorway drives and 100 or 110kph is sufficient to regenerate the dpf. Even country roads will do good. In the instructions, they recommend to take the car to its max speed but good luck here in Oz unless you drive it to NT. Full engine load (top speed) is the best way to do a regen but we can't afford that without risking your licence. I have done heaps of research on what the best way is to maintain it, many of it from German forums as well including the horror stories what NOT to do.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Mine takes 10+ for the water temperature to reach normal temp and the minimum I do is 50+ kms.
    I suspect the manufacturers don't want to suggest anything with regard to best running practice for fear of invoking even more questions let alone fears of issues potentially developing.
    Best not scare the horses perhaps.

you dont need to be concerned about a modern TDI engine 'running away'. They have throttle valves as part of the EGR system which can effectively shut off the air supply and prevent it - i.e. turning off the key will stop the engine. No need for scaremongering!

As to the OP's issue - it sounds very much like you have a DPF clogging issue, whether caused by sensor malfunction or your driving habits/usage case. It is certainly not ideal to use a modern DPF equipped diesel for lots of short trips without doing some reasonably evenly spaced longer ones too.

Try and get the car properly diagnosed asap.

as to manufacturers and suggested usage... doesnt anybody read their cars owners manuals? Every single VAG group car I've owned (from mk'1s to my latest '08 allroad) has had suggested driving tips in the owners manual. Its full of suggestions about how to drive and otherwise care for your car.
    Last edited by gldgti; 29-09-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12