Thread: Help - EGR Blanking Plate

Help - EGR Blanking Plate

Hi,

I recently purchased a Golf TDI ('06, BKD) with an EGR delete and a (poorly) attempted effort to remove the EGR cooler. Yesterday I noticed the car was whistling on acceleration and deceleration - I checked out the EGR system and low and behold there is no blanking plate at the back of the engine where the pipe normally recirculates the exhaust gases. I assume this must have fallen off recently in my ownership.

I've ordered a blanking plate off eBay but am not sure what temporary fix I could use in the meantime. Should I keep the car off the road or is it safe to drive seeing as the entire EGR system has been disabled? I drove the car yesterday and today with no real adverse effects on fuel consumption but it did feel a bit down on power. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Its not a good idea to drive with a massive boost leak (what you have) because it works the turbocharger harder than it normally would. Theres a chance of overspeeding the turbo if you really got up it.

Ive always made my own blanking plates out of 3-4mm steel and a paper gasket. All you need is a drill and an angle grinder.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    I have a blanking plate in mine, but it's a Skoda part, with a 6mm hole in it. so it still flows but it restricted.

Can't remember the part number sorry

Quote Originally Posted by benough View Post
    I have a blanking plate in mine, but it's a Skoda part, with a 6mm hole in it. so it still flows but it restricted.

Can't remember the part number sorry
    You should definitely block that hole. Tap it and put a bolt in it, weld it, put a threaded barb in it and run a boost gauge off it, but you should block it.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gldgti View Post
    You should definitely block that hole. Tap it and put a bolt in it, weld it, put a threaded barb in it and run a boost gauge off it, but you should block it.
    EGR plates with a hole lets the EGR valve remain in place and functional, no errors, no removing parts or replumbing the exhaust gas cooler etc. The hole simply allows a small amount of gas to carry on its otherwise standard EGR journey. You can’t put a barb in and run anything off it. The plate is fully enclosed by the EGR valve assembly.

very common mod on 4wds.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    EGR plates with a hole lets the EGR valve remain in place and functional, no errors, no removing parts or replumbing the exhaust gas cooler etc. The hole simply allows a small amount of gas to carry on its otherwise standard EGR journey. You can’t put a barb in and run anything off it. The plate is fully enclosed by the EGR valve assembly.

very common mod on 4wds.
    Yes, but that is not what the OP was talking about.... and benough was not clear about whether he was using a restricting plate for the EGR flow as you describe or using it in the absence of an EGR circuit.... though it could go either way.
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag

Sorry, I was talking about at the point were the return pipe comes back into the EGR valve just before the intake manifold