Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Mount Insert - Vibration unbearable?

Engine Mount Insert - Vibration unbearable?

Hi guys,

I just had the engine mount insert installed on my vehicle, had it installed in part of another job I had to get done.

The person said that they had issues installing it, and had to grind it down a bit, I wasnt sure what they meant by this but I wanted to know if thats normal?

Secondly, the vibration on idle is basically unbearable right now, the whole sound like rings in ears like having two windows open on the freeway.

Is this normal on first install?

edit: talking about one of these Poyta's GT

v

I went for the PowerFlex diesel one which is just shoreA 60 hardness
    Only can feel a slight increase in engine vibration and according to the missus it's unnoticeable
    It normally dies down a little after running in but that all depends on what hardness you went with

Not sure about the grinding part thought because I have a different mount than yours
    They normally don't need altering before fitting
    06 Polo TDi

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    I went for the PowerFlex diesel one which is just shoreA 60 hardness
    Only can feel a slight increase in engine vibration and according to the missus it's unnoticeable
    It normally dies down a little after running in but that all depends on what hardness you went with

Not sure about the grinding part thought because I have a different mount than yours
    They normally don't need altering before fitting
    Did you find when you first installed it that it was very rough? mine is so rough on reverse, and engaging/starting to move.

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    Did you find when you first installed it that it was very rough? mine is so rough on reverse, and engaging/starting to move.
    It's just a ShoreA 60 hardness mount which is really soft for mountings
    So no, the mount didn't make it rough even when I first installed it
    It's all about the hardness

Gear changes and take off are all smooth without the sloppiness on the oem mount
    06 Polo TDi

A cheaper alternative might be to fill the voids in your stock mount with some automotive polyurethane from the hardware store. Would certainly be softer - sika make one which is pretty soft but tough.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

I have a feeling i may have the wrong insert shape in there, as mine was for a pre 2007 Mk5, where as mine is a my09

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    I have a feeling i may have the wrong insert shape in there, as mine was for a pre 2007 Mk5, where as mine is a my09
    That would do it. There are two quite specific shapes.

You still haven't said what hardness you fitted. You can buy anywhere from 60 (softest) to 90 (hardest). Road driven diesels need the softest version.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Yep. I use the race insert on my Polo for track days and I can't wait to swap it back to the original after I get home (or even at the track if it's a long drive home)
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That would do it. There are two quite specific shapes.

You still haven't said what hardness you fitted. You can buy anywhere from 60 (softest) to 90 (hardest). Road driven diesels need the softest version.
    Had to try and find it, it's 90a hardness, so the hardest I guess.

I will need to change it, It's a pain having to pay to have it taken out again

Users Country Flag

Hey guys, old tread I know.

I installed a CTS billet mount last week and that's the only mount that doesn't cause excessive vibration in my tdi. Would be worth looking into. I've tried 2 poly mounts and removed them straight away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast