Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf 103 TDI DSG Wagon with body vibration at 1200-1400 RPM

Users Country Flag

Golf 103 TDI DSG Wagon with body vibration at 1200-1400 RPM

I am driving a new Golf 103 TDI DSG Wagon (Oct 2010 delivery), and right from the start I observed a strong vibration/resonance in the 1200-1400 RPM range (independent of what gear it is in).
    This is really annoying because in normal Drive mode, the gear selection ends up in that rev range under light throttle.
    Is this normal for this car?

If it was me I would drive another car with the same motor and transmission. If yours is noticeably worse, insist on it being fixed. You must not let the dealer tell you that "some of them do that". You must be strong and not give in.--------Good luck.

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried it when the car is in Park? If you can still hear it, open the bonnet, get someone to hold the revs at 1200-1400 and try to setablish where the vibration is coming from. Caveat: I don't have a DSG so I don't know if this is recommended practice.
    MY10 Golf MkVI 103TDI United Grey

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I did some more tests this afternoon - results as follows:

- Car stopped, transmission in Park, doors & windows closed.
    Car has travelled just over 2000km

1200 RPM: Minimal vibration
    1300 RPM: Strong vibration
    1400 RPM: Medium vibration
    1500 RPM: Medium vibration
    1600 RPM: Low/Medium vibration
    1700 RPM: Minimal vibration
    Repeated test with transmission in Neutral - same results.

Raised the bonnet - subjectively the vibration is reduced.

I have the car booked in with a dealer next week, so hope to have more info then (and will have a go at test driving another wagon).

Did a search on the net, somebody else has observed a similar problem - see: 2010 Golf Wagon TDI engine vibration - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

On a brand new car it never hurts to make sure the dealer looks into it - however - it seems to be an increasing misconception that all cars are created equal - and some components (if i was going to guess in this case it would be the flywheel) are always made to within acceptable tolerances. How acceptable that tolerance is, is entirely up to the manufacturer - but if VW are making flywheels to within a certain balancing tolerance, and 90% of them are far better than the limit tolerance, doesn't mean there aren't a few cars that are borderline - and probably fine too...

So, if the dealer says "some of them do that" - well its probably true, and most of the time OK, if you don't mind too much.

Vibration is one of the most subjective things you can come across in a car. Some people will overstate it a lot, and others will not even notice the same problem.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by gds View Post
    I have the car booked in with a dealer next week, so hope to have more info then (and will have a go at test driving another wagon).

Did a search on the net, somebody else has observed a similar problem - see: 2010 Golf Wagon TDI engine vibration - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com
    Hi gds, How did you go with the dealer? What was the outcome and what was the other car like? I ask because I'm expecting delivery of the same vehicle currently.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by interested_party View Post
    Hi gds, How did you go with the dealer? What was the outcome and what was the other car like? I ask because I'm expecting delivery of the same vehicle currently.
    I took the car to the Dealer 2 weeks ago, and took the car for a test drive
    with the technician who agreed that there was a resonance. However when I
    picked up the car the following day they reckoned that it was nothing out of
    the ordinary.
    BUT... They very rarely get TDI wagons, do they weren't really in a position to say
    what is normal anyway. And for the same reason they didn't have another TDI wagon for road testing.

They are chasing up VW for any tech bulletins that relate to this issue.
    Also, I will take the car back to the dealer next time a rep from VW head
    office visits the dealership so as to raise the issue higher up.

Oh, I also just thought - it might be something as simple as a tweaked engine mount (one thats just not quite seated correctly).

I swear if the VW dealers of today had any customer care at all they would go over the car and look for stuff like that without you having to do anything but ask.

I hope you have some success.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by gds View Post
    I took the car to the Dealer 2 weeks ago, and took the car for a test drive
    with the technician who agreed that there was a resonance. However when I
    picked up the car the following day they reckoned that it was nothing out of
    the ordinary.
    BUT... They very rarely get TDI wagons, do they weren't really in a position to say
    what is normal anyway. And for the same reason they didn't have another TDI wagon for road testing.

They are chasing up VW for any tech bulletins that relate to this issue.
    Also, I will take the car back to the dealer next time a rep from VW head
    office visits the dealership so as to raise the issue higher up.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry it hasn't been sorted out. Here's an interesting link, from the one you posted earlier:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f...esonance-1907/

Someone seems to think the CV joint heat shield is the cause on these diesel wagons. When I get mine next week (hopefully) I'll post if mine vibrates and if it has these heat shields.

A different engine in our golf wagon, 77tdi so not sure this will help. But for reference, we've been driving it since August & no such issue. Feels pretty normal through the range of revs.
    Been rapt in it so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast